This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

Undergraduate PCB Design Freelance - What to charge?

Former Community Member
Former Community Member
Hello IET Members. 

I am currently in the third year of my undergraduate EEE course. I have been approached by a company, where I was an intern before university, to design a small PCB for them. 

They are asking me for a quote. As I have not entered the world of work yet, I do not know what is a reasonable hourly rate for PCB design consultation, especially someone at my stage in the career. 

So, could other members give me a ballpark figure of how much I should be charging per hour?

Many thanks,

Tom
  • tomeaton17:

Hello IET Members. 

I am currently in the third year of my undergraduate EEE course. I have been approached by a company, where I was an intern before university, to design a small PCB for them. 

They are asking me for a quote. As I have not entered the world of work yet, I do not know what is a reasonable hourly rate for PCB design consultation, especially someone at my stage in the career. 

So, could other members give me a ballpark figure of how much I should be charging per hour?

Many thanks,

Tom

As an electrician I charge for parts, plus a mark up, plus an hourly rate. So if you work for 2 hours making the item you charge say £100.00 plus parts. If this is a "one off" prototype  then you can charge more than if it is a production run of say 100, as then you will have to be very competitive, as you will be quoting against other possible suppliers. You could ask other companies what they charge for a similar item to get an idea of currents costs, or look in electronic sales' catalogues or online. If sourced from say China the cost of a similar circuit board will be very inexpensive. Do not forget hidden costs like carriage, insurance, heating and lighting and any consumables or tools etc.

Consultants can earn big bucks, so do not undersell yourself. Also do not let the company steal your design and not pay you. Perhaps you could make a working prototype and then encapsulate it (pot it) just to show it working, but that method hides its essential component parts.

If just providing circuit  diagrams charge an hourly rate for your work. You should not work for nothing.

Z.

• Here's a useful page:
    https://www.peopleperhour.com/hire-freelancers/pcb+designer+freelance+rates

You'll see there's a huge range of rates here, as an undergrad probably around £20/hr is about right. You could charge less to get the experience, but then it's really difficult trying to charge more later on if they start taking advantage (i.e. become demanding and it eats into your time for doing other things) - they are likely to say "but you only charged £x last time".

Good thing to be doing, just be prepared that if they are paying for it:
    • They will expect it done in a reasonable time, make sure you absolutely can fit it around your uni commitments,

• They will expect it to be done to commercial quality, so all files made available to them in a tidy format,

• If you make any errors in the design you may need to rework them at your own expense - so agree with them what the definition of "correct" is. I'd suggest you want to make sure that someone at their end is going to check the layout and agree it before they get it built so that it's not all your responsibility if it doesn't work. (If you literally manage not to connect two tracks together which are shown in the design that's your fault. If two components electrically interfere with each other because they are too close together, resulting in a complete re-layout being required, you don't want to carry all the responsibility for that.)

Hence good practice at undergrad level to start thinking about all this sort of stuff! You'll probably find it takes longer than you think it will, but that's all part of the learning process...

Cheers,

Andy

• Former Community Member
    0 Former Community Member
    Thank you for the good advice. I am working on a barebones prototype which they will evaluate to see if they would like me to continue with more work. I am not willing to do this for free, so I will see what they propose to pay me.
  • Former Community Member
    0 Former Community Member
    Thanks for the very informative post Andy. I have experience with their requirements for PCB work from my internship. I am also slightly concerned about my responsibility, so we decided it would be best for me to design a basic prototype for evaluation and go from there.  I have asked for around the £20/hour mark so will see what they say.
  • Hello again,

here are some more thoughts. Apologies if they are obvious to you already.

1. It is important to fully understand what the new designed board is expected to do. Get a written specification first.

2. Are there any space constraints? Will it have to fit in a restricted space?

3. What operating conditions will it experience, vibration such as on a vehicle where relays may be made to drop out, or in cold or hot conditions. Will it be reliable at minus 15 degrees C or plus 85 degrees C?

4. Will it be powered by your power supply or one already available? Can it cope with a ten percent drop in supply Voltage or a 15 per cent increase in supply Voltage. Can it cope with noise from other sources? If battery operated will it work for the time required on one battery or battery charge?

5.Does it work reliably under all expected operating conditions of supply Voltage and frequency? Is it thoroughly tested?

I had to ensure safe earthng of big mobile military stuff on trailers once. At the tester's location a large adjustable mains generator was brought in to supply low and high supply Voltages at various different frequencies. The tests were thorough. Most stuff passed but some failed.

When you supply a prototype you must supply exact details of supply Voltage (A.C. or D.C), and current required (Amps or Watts consumed) and other essential info. so that if it is tested when you are not present, all will be well. State everything clearly on a user's guide sheet. 

Velleman kits are examples of well designed, tried and tested electronic circuits. Stocked by C.P.C. (CPC Farnell) and others like Amazon. The components are of reliable good quality too.

Just some thoughts,

Good luck,

Z.