This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

Applied mathematics (OU Modules M373, MS327, MST326) in Engineering / Academia & Green Sectors

Hi,

I have posted a similar question to the below on an internal OU qualifications forum, but I am now seeking opinions from IET members on this.

I'm considering enrolling on one of the applied mathematics modules with codes M373, MS327, MST326 with the Open University, but can't currently make up my mind.

M373 - Optimisation -  http://www.open.ac.uk/courses/modules/m373

MS327 -  Deterministic and stochastic dynamics - http://www.open.ac.uk/courses/modules/ms327

MST326 - Mathematical methods and fluid mechanics - http://www.open.ac.uk/courses/modules/mst326

I'm 34 years old, and have been studying for an MEng part time with the OU since 2017. I want to try and increase my chances of studying something that will be in use in the future with the future 5-15 years (since expected end of study from 2026).

The ideas / preferences I have for types of jobs in this period after graduation are Design Engineer, Project Manager, Stress Engineer, Reliability Engineer, Dam Engineer for example. I'm considering the viability of transferring to the Green Energy sectors currently - eg Solar, Wind, Hydro etc.

I'm currently at Stage 2 of the course, studying T276 (Engineering professions skills and practice) and T213 (Energy and Sustainability).

I have 1.5 years experience in a Manufacturing Eng. environment (Admin role), and a few months experience part time in a voluntary capacity in Design Engineering & Management re Face Protection.

I would like some opinions from IET members familiar with some the topics those 3 linked modules cover, or have worked in industry / academia, to give some examples for each stated module;

1) What parts have they personally used or seen people using in past?

2) What parts do they know is commonplace now?

3) What parts do they envisage increasing in usage in a) Industry b) Academia in the future.

This information will help me make a decision on module choices.

----------------------------------------------------------

I have received a response from a OU tutor following the internal post, and they advised;

"Unfortunately I have not taught any of the units listed, so really cannot comment which is most appropriate for you intended application area / careers. They all appear to have a strong application of mathematics. My experience in the career path I chose was that even though I have not often applied some of the 'advanced' mathematics directly in my job, it did teach and enable me to:

Think logically (useful for me in programing automation etc.);

Communicate effectively with those that provided us tools (software) used for analysis;

Open my mind to different aspects and alternative possibilities;

Understand the limitations of mathematical modelling and analysis, and how they can be confirmed or enhanced in the real world by other means;

To think more analytically
."

--------------------------------------------------------

I am now seeking views from IET members on my question, as I'm specifically looking for where those mathematical methods and techniques are eg used in academia / industry & example job roles stated. If this is e,g, not the right place for this type of question, please suggest another subforum / website.

Thank you

• Former Community Member
    0 Former Community Member
    Hi Nicholas,

Whilst I cannot offer a personal opinion on your subject choice, I can suggest that you might discover more about each of them by typing the following in the google search field:

pratical applications of optimisation in mathematics

practical applications of deterministic and stochastic dynamics in mathematics

practical applications of mathematical methods and fluid in mathematics

Hope that helps.