This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

Associate's Degree for a Career

Former Community Member
Former Community Member
Does anyone here work in a professional capacity with only an Associate's degree? 

I have an article that is intended to assist young, or old, students with what the best Associate's degrees are for getting a career as their terminal degree. 

https://successfulstudent.org/best-online-associates-degrees-for-careers/

Real-world advice and examples of people in professional capacities with only an Associate's would be appreciated.
  • In the UK at least there has been no recognised qualification called an ' Associate's degree' or anything like it, since before WW2, so UK examples will be rare.

I believe the US qualification of that name is similar to S levels, in being beyond  A but less than a BA or BSc.

The Australian one is more like the level of an HND.

Certainly there are engineers who have started at either of  those levels, not just university graduates.

Mike.
  • I can’t specifically recall advising anyone with an “Associates Degree”, although I have seen them on CVs, mainly from North America and the Caribbean.  Some basic research suggests that they are college qualifications, perhaps most comparable with BTEC/C&G?

I have also never come across an “S level”, although it is explained by Wikipedia. It seems before my time (I’m retired)!

For the purposes of international comparison, when international accords cannot be applied, the IET Professional Registration dept uses NARIC.
          https://www.enic.org.uk/What%20Is%20Recognition/Band%20Framework/Default.aspx     

• Associate Degrees are awarded in the USA and some Caribbean universities that follows the 2+2 system for bachelor (hons) degrees. Candidate may exit programme after 2-years with an Associate Degree. Or they may continue for 2 further years to be awarded an honours degree.

Mainly, universities aligned to the USA for accreditation tend to award the Associate Degree. Those aligned to UK accreditation bodies typically award Diplomas. However, they both are comparable to UK RFQ Level 5.