This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

COVID-19: AI and Engineering for Healthcare Crises: Rapid Response Strategies for Covid-19

As we are a few weeks away from our first webinar about AI and Engineering for Healthcare Crises: Rapid Response Strategies for Covid-19, there is a central role for the engineering community to come together to support science, government and public/social institutions

As an engineering community, we would be keen to find out if: 
  1.      Do you yourselves have solutions either tactically for now, or longer term for after the crisis is over? 

•      What are your ideas? These could be inventions that need financing or deploying quickly or policies that you think governments need to     implement. 

•      Are there any anecdotes on the ground that you think will be useful for our community to hear about? 

•      What questions do you have that you would like discussed over IET webinars?

May this global crisis inspire us all to reach out and discover how our shared experience and understanding can benefit all our communities.

I'd be interested to hear your thoughts and any experiences you may have on this?

Register Here for the Webinars
  • Former Community Member
    0 Former Community Member
    My name is Ronjon Nag, and have academic and entrepreneurial activities in artificial intelligence, drug discovery, wearables. I invent, invest and inform at the R42 Institute in such areas, and also teach AI for healthcare at Stanford University. I live in Palo Alto, California.

I will be giving a lecture on this topic and providing my own experiences on applying artificial intelligence and engineering to current healthcare problems. Will explain the latest artificial intelliegnce techniques, and how some methodologies have been able to accelerate solutions to illness.

It looks like we will have hundreds of people attending and I would love to hear from you:

1. If you have a great project that you think the community would love to hear about, please post here or send to me and will see if we can use it in the lecture to give it more airtime.  It could be a new technology, or a new way top deploy or finance a new idea quickly.

2. Additionally if you have ideas what the IET should do, with its incredibly bright community, post lecture, send to me also,

3. If you have questions that would like to be addressed during discussion or the lecture, please also post or send.

Best

Ronjon

Ronjon Nag PhD (Cambridge), MS (MIT), BSc (Birmingham), FIET, CEng

www.linkedin.com/in/ronjonnag
  • Former Community Member
    0 Former Community Member
    Hello Everyone!

My name is Anastasiya Giarletta and I work for Dr. Ronjon Nag at R42 Group, focusing on early-stage AI/deep tech and science investments. I also lead R42 Institute efforts.

As Dr. Ronjon Nag mentioned - we would love to hear from you ahead of his lecture on 6th May!

Please, submit your questions and/or projects on the form below. We will do our best to address them before, during or after the webinar.

https://forms.gle/Xs9exQQqZ1pEpVbi9

Kind regards,

Anastasiya
  • The lecture on AI & Engineering Healthcare was extremely insightful, informative and an absolute eye opener.  As part of our continuation of the series, I will gradually add some of asked throughout the webinar with as answer from the engineers and technologists worldwide. 

When asked about the essential features of a contact tracing app for Covid-19.  Here are some answers below provided by the membership.

What are the essential features of a contact tracing app for Covid-19?

• Privacy, anonymity, trusted by people, cryptography to ensure these features

• Trustworthiness and low bias - or at least quantified and clearly understood bias - in adoption.

• Provable performance - i.e. easy for the public to see that useful data is being gathered.

• Clarity of how "personal" data can be used - e.g. in UK anecdotally there will be provision to make data available to unspecified or unknown commercial entities. This will stop many people using the app.

• It's got to be idiot proof. We all understand the value of data. I suspect that most people do not. Indeed they just see it as an invasion of privacy.

• Privacy protection and the establishment independent authorities to manage the personal information.

• Multiple contact confirmation i.e. not just BT, which could be through a wall.

• Speed

• Communication of contact strength (and correlation of contact type with viral transmission)

• Multiple levels of openness - user controlled. Love the idea of incentivisation via lottery etc.

• More users and built-in sensors.

• Accuracy and trust of the users.

What are your ideas?