Website service announcement

The online community is now in a ‘read only’ mode whilst we transfer our forum and blog content to their new home in IET EngXTM 

Update: The launch of our new online community IET EngX is taking a little longer than anticipated!

We want to make sure that everything is tidy in the new community  so Engineering Communities will remain in read-only mode until w/c 6th December.

Read our latest blog post for more information. 

Want to post a reply? You'll need to log in  Having trouble logging in? Read our help guide
Bond to oil line in garage
aligarjon
151 Posts
Question

Hi Guys.   What is the best solution for trying to get a main bond onto an inaccessible oil line that enters a floor mounted boiler in a garage in this case but also generally? The pipe is visible down the side of the boiler against the wall but it is not possible to get a clamp on it due to location and installation method. The best solution that i can see is get onto the heating and hot water pipes leaving the boiler.  Which in reality does the same job but via the boiler metal work.

Gary

1 Replies
ebee
1409 Posts

Well, you can only do what you can reasonably do. If indeed bonding is required then bond to it if you can but if not bond to something it is attached to (taking precautions against disconnection). I have a couple of times used split bobbins to clamp an EC14 around with a hole in them for a 10mm bore pipe, so once its all clamped together an effective bond is made. but if you cant actually get to the pipe itself you need to do the next best thing. so long as it`s nearby and effective and will remain effective then OK to me

Want to post a reply? You'll need to log in  Having trouble logging in? Read our help guide