Website service announcement

The online community is now in a ‘read only’ mode whilst we transfer our forum and blog content to their new home in IET EngXTM 

Update: The launch of our new online community IET EngX is taking a little longer than anticipated!

We want to make sure that everything is tidy in the new community  so Engineering Communities will remain in read-only mode until w/c 6th December.

Read our latest blog post for more information. 

Want to post a reply? You'll need to log in  Having trouble logging in? Read our help guide
The Raising of Ground Floor Socket Heights.
Zoomup
4231 Posts
Question

Will we have to raise the height of wiring accessories in new builds in potential flood areas.

Click on the above.

Z.

9 Replies
Simon Barker
1005 Posts

There were supposed to be rules against building on flood plains.

But then the government started telling councils that they must build more and more homes, and now councils are approving building anywhere.  My local council is planning to sell off a patch of public green space that is known to flood in the winter, for more housing.  They are saying that if they fix up the sluice gates, it'll be fine.

kfh
224 Posts

My local council just gave permission for 241 houses alongside a stream that the Environment Agency says is a grade 3 and 2 flood risk. The developer says they will build the houses six inches higher than the surrounding ground, so the roads and drives will flood?  The planning committee were told the environment agency in their report said they can see no problems, so flood risk is not a reason to refuse planning. 

When installing sockets if I had  a choice I would be putting then about 2ft high so I can sit on a small box while installing them. Also now that I am getting older it is easier to access the higher sockets without having to get down on my knees.

Will the flood risk be given as a reason to justify installing consumer units touching the ceiling above the toilet?

ebee
1409 Posts

“Will the flood risk be given as a reason to justify installing consumer units touching the ceiling above the toilet?”

😀

Chris Pearson
3262 Posts

What happens to all the tackle in meter cabinets? 🤔

broadgage
1037 Posts

Some years ago I did a flood resistant installation.

Pairs of 16 amp ceeform outlets installed just below  ceiling level in each ground floor room. Extension leads supplied, male 16 amp plug to 8 gang trailing 13 amp sockets. 1.5mm flex.

Kitchen had two 32 amp ceeform sockets at high level, extension leads supplied with 32 amp male plug, 6mm flex to multiple metal clad 13 amp sockets on a piece of board.

One twin 13 amp socket high up on wall near stairs, reachable by going a few steps up the stairs. Mainly for vacuum cleaning upstairs or down.

Downstairs lights all ceiling mounted and operated via pull cord switches.

Upstairs installation as normal.

Consumer unit upstairs. About 1.5 meters above upstairs floor level.

Cut out and meter and customers switch fuse at low level outdoors “because that is how we always do it” SWA submain to consumer unit. The customer switch fuse is in a second “meter cupboard” just above the one containing the cut out and meter. Still much too low IMHO.

Stored on the premises are

Spare ceeform to 13 amp extension leads, in case the ones in use go under water.

Spare switch fuse. For simple replacement after the flood.

Spare length of 25mm SWA and glands.

broadgage
1037 Posts

Chris Pearson: 

What happens to all the tackle in meter cabinets? 🤔

It might go bang, or the DNO might turn of the supply at the substation during a flood, or the substation might go under water first.

Zoomup
4231 Posts

Let's hope that the flood warning email to U.K.P.N. does not end up in the spam folder.

Z.

Zoomup
4231 Posts
Jaymack
242 Posts

Zoomup: 

Will we have to raise the height of wiring accessories in new builds in potential flood areas.

Z.

What would a registered electrician do ? - Comply with BS 7671 …………… as usual. 😎  

Want to post a reply? You'll need to log in  Having trouble logging in? Read our help guide