Website service announcement

The online community is now in a ‘read only’ mode whilst we transfer our forum and blog content to their new home in IET EngXTM 

Update: The launch of our new online community IET EngX is taking a little longer than anticipated!

We want to make sure that everything is tidy in the new community  so Engineering Communities will remain in read-only mode until w/c 6th December.

Read our latest blog post for more information. 

Want to post a reply? You'll need to log in  Having trouble logging in? Read our help guide
Question on using fused terminal blocks
Trojan
2 Posts
Question

I'm an industrial electrician with no real domestic experience, although I did get a 17th edition certificate a few years back. I've got a crap 4 inch extractor fan in the bathroom that I want to swap out with a 6" inline fan I have. I have a cooker style switch for my shower on the outside of the room. Is there any reason I can't drop a 1mm cable from the loft and use a fused terminal block at the switch to feed a relay for the fan? Would have the relay in a wiska box or similar in the loft and could label that there are 2 circuits enclosed.

Thanks in advance!

5 Replies
broadgage
1037 Posts

From a strictly electrical point of view, then yes you could connect into the existing heavy current shower circuit by means of a fused terminal block.

From a practical point of view, there might not be room to install this fused terminal block in the box for the shower switch. A better arrangement would be a fused connection unit with a 1 amp fuse, adjacent to the shower switch.

A pedant might argue that you need 1.5mm cable for the circuit as that is now the minimum cable for a “power circuit”

A more common approach is to connect the extract fan to the lighting circuit since this facilitates the provision of both a fixed live and a switched live for a fan with a run on timer. 

mapj1
4444 Posts

Where does the old 4 inch fan get power, and why not re-purpose that ?

If however you do decide to take a 1 or 1,5mm feed from the shower cct, to supply a fused spur or switch-fuse or similar for the fan, try and keep the length of thin cable on the shower circuit that is on the side before you fuse down to a minimum.

Mike.

Trojan
2 Posts

4 inch fan is supplied from the lighting live and switched live as described by broadgage. The 6 inch fan I've got doesn't have a timer but you're right, it'd probably be easier to just get a fan timer unit and wire into that.

Sparkingchip
4840 Posts

Talk about making hard work of a simple job 🙄

There are several options that are a lot more practical to install and for the users, all supplying the power from the lighting circuit.

Zoomup
4231 Posts

The fan manufacturers may require the installer to install a 3 Amp fan supply fuse. Please read the instructions. 1.5mm2 is overkill for such a small load. A model with a timer overrun circuit inside it is desirable. The fan can be room light activated so continue running for a period to remove steam or smells after the room is vacated.

Z.

Want to post a reply? You'll need to log in  Having trouble logging in? Read our help guide