This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

CE marking of elctrical control panels

Before BREXIT, the following statement regarding control panels was true.

"Low voltage Assemblies marketed within the EU have to comply with all relevant Directives and be CE marked. For the majority of Assemblies this requires compliance with the Low Voltage and the EMC Directives. Fully meeting BS EN 61439-2 allows the PSC Assembly to be CE marked.”

Now that we have left the EU and since I havent heard anything to the contrary I presume UK control panels still have to comply with BS EN 61439, but should they also have a CE mark .

• well, we are now putting both CE and UKCA on our commercial stuff, and then we do not need to worry where it ends up being used or when in relation to grace periods or change over days it gets taken out of stock and used.

The tests and reviews we do are unchanged, so in reverse, as a buyer, I'd accept either.

Mike.

• Depending on where it's going, you might also need a UKNI mark. Seemingly the UK bit of UKCA is a bit misleading as it's only applicable to GB, not the entire UK. 

- Andy.

• If you only have to comply with “self-certify” legislation (and Directives), it's pretty straightforward as Mike says.

If the Directive (or UK legislation) requires 3rd-party certification is where things get tricky, because UK-registered independent certification bodies are not necessarily EU-registered (and vice-versa).

• I was wondering if anything had changed over the last 5 months ?

As I work in NI, it looks as though I, as a client, should be looking for a UKNI rather than CE mark ?

Regards, Derek

• well either really. Depends who made it to be sold where.

Placing goods on the EU market

The UKNI marking is not recognised on the EU market. If you are placing goods on the EU market, you must use the CE marking on its own, without the UKNI marking.

To find out how to place a CE marking on your product, see Using the CE marking.

Accepted markings for different markets

Your goods may require different markings for different markets. The table below illustrates the accepted markings on each market.

Type of good (see list of product areas below) Accepted marking or combination of markings*
    Placing goods on the market in Northern Ireland Manufactured goods being placed on the market in NI using an EU conformity assessment body CE
      Manufactured goods being placed on the market in NI using a UK-based body CE and UKNI
    Placing goods on the market in Great Britain Manufactured goods being placed on the GB market until the end of 2022 UKCA or CE
      Manufactured goods placed on the GB market from 1 Jan 2023 UKCA
    Placing qualifying Northern Ireland goods on the market in Great Britain (unfettered access) Qualifying Northern Ireland goods being placed on the GB market under unfettered access CE or CE and UKNI
    Placing goods on the EU market Manufactured goods being placed on the EU market CE

*You may use combinations of the product markings listed in each box and your goods may be acceptable with more than one marking. For example, a product with both the CE and UKCA markings can be placed on the EU market. However, for the EU market the CE mark must appear without the UKNI indication as goods bearing the ‘CE and UKNI’ marking are not acceptable in the EU market. This means these goods must be manufactured to EU rules and cannot be assessed by a body based in the UK

• That page of waffle I just posted is the UK govt position (https://www.gov.uk/guidance/using-the-ukni-marking)

I suggest the effect of the wrong label will be minimal - stuff that had CE stickers on it that was not quite compliant will remain so, and the folk who print the stickers now have some more to add to the label soup they can apply at random. Nothing beats looking at the build quality and asking to see test results. Marking may keep honest people honest, it does very little against the dishonest ones.

Mike.

• We're in the extended grace period, so it is permissible at the moment to have just a CE mark on a panel until the end of the year. Both CE and UKCA marks are allowed

From 1st Jan 2023, UKCA mark is then a legal requirement.

• not that many will lie awake and  worry, according to Ebay compliance costs £2.99 for a sheet of what appears to be a hundred stickers.
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/174579206885

Which rather defeats the point....

Mind you this other (rather rude) label, may be quite well applied to quite a few of the govt's decisions in matters technical, not just this one.

Mike.

• The best comment regarding CE/UKCA marking is 'No-one will check your homework until it goes wrong'

For compliance it's the Technical File and Declaration of Conformity behind it that need to be correct.

I will confess to buying a pack of a hundred UKCA labels to quickly mark up a UK shipment, but all the paperwork was already in place....