This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

Infrared Heating in dwellings

Is there any independent information about benefits and risks of infrared heating on dwelling. Would be grateful if you could point me in the right direction.

• sparkiemike: 

Is there any independent information about benefits and risks of infrared heating on dwelling. Would be grateful if you could point me in the right direction.

Isn't that the high level type of heating that used to be used in churches, which roasted your head while your feet froze?

I used to have an infrared wall heater in my bathroom. It did not kill me.

Advantages. Silent in operation.

Warm glow.

Inexpensive.

Instant heat after turning on.

Compact design.

Virtually maintenance free. No moving parts apart perhaps from a cord switch.

Z.

• does not waste energy heating the building fabric, just people in the beam as it were. 

Can lead to dry air. Needs installing so it does not set fire to curtains/furniture.

Fire risk in places with a lot of sawdust and so forth. I like them in some limited situations.

Mike.

•  “Fire risk in places with a lot of sawdust" I used to have to keep my head well away from them ?

• ebee: 

“Fire risk in places with a lot of sawdust" I used to have to keep my head well away from them ?

Aunt Sally will take care of you ebee.

Z.

• Very useful in a bathroom where an undressed body can be kept warm for a few minutes without heating up the whole room in advance. A bit cissy though.

• Cheap to install, instant heat, almost no maintenance, easy to use even by the hard of thinking.

• Chris Pearson: 

Very useful in a bathroom where an undressed body can be kept warm for a few minutes without heating up the whole room in advance. A bit cissy though.

I'd rather be a warm cissy than a freezing Rambo.?

Z.

• Its line of sight, especially the short wave variety.  The short wave type (halogen) has very good range.  

Its more suitable if people are moving around than sitting.

Also can make it seem warmer than it is.

• A couple of years or so ago I went to visit a church in Herefordshire to have a look at the pew heaters, to cut a long story short I ended up sitting on a pew, along with a local lady parishioner and her spaniel, with the heater under the pew turned on as well as the wall mounted infrared heaters.

It needs both to keep you warm whilst seated, neither are sufficient on their own.