This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

Inspection & Testing

I am a project manager, constructing new waste water treatment works, for a water company. The contractor building the new works has provided a program which has 4 months between  part 1 (dead testing) and part 2 (live testing) of the NICIEC certification. In between these dates, the contractor will test and commission of the plant and equipment e.g. pumps, actuated valves, instrumentation, screens etc.

Would it be correct to say, this does not comply with the wiring regulations ? 

• Humm. BS 7671 talks about performing I&T before the installation “is put into service” - which might not be entirely clear in your case. I presume the installation isn't really “in service” as such during commissioning (or at least it could be argued).

You might be better looking at it from H&SAW/EAWR point of view - e.g. ensuring the safety of those doing the commissioning (with a presumably fully energised system) before the I&T is complete. Depending on their training and procedures that may or may not be reasonable. I guess in some complex systems it might not be possible to do the final testing until the commissioning has been done, and some will go beyond BS 7671's traditional boundaries so it all can become a bit chicken and egg.

- Andy.

• Former Community Member
    0 Former Community Member

Is the builder basing his program on the client's demands or will the client be content waiting until handover minus say two days to see if the plant performs? Or does part of the works require commissioning and hand over before the rest?

Regards

BOD

• I would agree re. H&S. There will be at least 6 different sub-contractors, commissioning their own plant after dead testing. I would guess the main contractor will not know the personnel involved, their qualifications and experience. 

I dont know why the contractor wants to leave 4 months between the tests. I dont believe we have any complex systems that would require commissioning before live testing.

I was curious to know if anyone else had similar issues.

• The contractor has complete responsibility for the program. Before construction begins the contractors program must be agreed with the project manager. The program cannot change thereafter without the pm's approval.

• Why do you think it would be unacceptable?

• I think that it is very much in compliance.

641.1 Every installation shall, during erection and on completion before being put into service, be inspected and tested to verify, so far as is reasonably practicable, that the requirements of the Regulations have been met.

Difficult to see how live tests could be undertaken much before commissioning, but performing dead tests as cables, etc. are installed enables corrective action to be taken at the earliest opportunity.

• So for the installation and testing of the pumps etc, will most of the fixed wiring have already been made live? But no live testing will have been performed on that fixed wiring before allowing pump people etc to make use of it? So for example any RCDs which might protect pump people during their install won't have been tested? Etc?

Or will the pump people spend 4 months installing their kit but never using any power at any point? Either for general stuff like lighting and recharging tools, let alone for testing the pumps?

• I have completed all the dead testing long before a supply is even available, there can easily be several months between completing an installation along with dead testing and when the supply is actually connected.

One local builder had a house completely finished with the decorating completed and carpets laid before the supply was installed, he would not have been a happy man if the dead testing hadn’t been completed several months before the live testing was carried out.

• It’s a reasonable question. Since CDM likely applies, it is one that should be addressed to the principal designer/principal contractor for outworking in the construction phase plan.

• A supply will be available, but not connected, before the dead testing begins. When the dead testing is complete, the supply will be connected, all of the plant and equipment will be made live, at various times within the 4 month period, before live testing, to enure it functions correctly (commissioned) i.e. pumps come on and off, valves open and close at the appropriate times. When the whole plant has been tuned and proved to working correctly, the live testing will be carried out. The plant will then be handed over to the operator to operate and maintain for the next 30 years.