This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

RCD Protection For Old Installations

Former Community Member
Former Community Member

Hey there, 

Would like to hear your thoughts on the case. 

If the installation from the 70s or 80s with old mem board has no rcd protection for neither sockets nor lights (with metal front plate switches, which are connected to CPC), taking into consideration that the installation was working cheerfully since the old days till today and all Zs values are within the range of the installed breakers and overall good condition. Would this require an upgrade to rcd protection as of the 18th edition or would class as C3 as of best practice guide 4 suggest on eicr? 

How would you approach the situation?

Regards, 

Karolis

• Some of us would say C2, some of us would say C3. I know that's not very helpful, but there is a range of valid opinion.

• Former Community Member
    0 Former Community Member

I know, as of new regulations I would say C2, but on the other hand, it has been there since 70s or so, and for no RCD protection in the best practice guide suggests C3. I would suggest upgrading the CCU altogether, but don't have time to do it myself, could swap MCBs to RCBOs, but to find MEM RCBOs is hard and if you do it's expensive, I've seen on eBay used £40 apiece and don`t think so the landlord is up for it.  

• What is the reason for the question? Are you carrying out an EICR, are you carrying out the new Landlords Electrical Safety inspection, or are you carrying out work on the property. Depending on your reason, you may get different answers. 

Regards,

Alan. 

I am carrying out an EICR on the property, with an agreement to do works if necessary. 

I know that I may get different answers, but despite the ambiguity of regulations, aiming for the most reasonable and safe solution. 

• C2 if the house is let to tenants.

Z.

What regulation number is it? Or where it is definitively stated so? 

• Karolis Meskunas: 

What regulation number is it? Or where it is definitively stated so? 

• There are no set rules, so you have to make a decision and be able to justify your reasons for coding it as you did.

So, is it a house with a garden and driveway where people may be using electrical gardening tools and equipment or washing a car with an electric pressure washer?

Is it a flat without access to any outdoor areas?

• Quote: “I've seen on eBay used £40 apiece and don`t think so the landlord is up for it.”

2. What do the Electrical Safety Standards in the Private Rented Sector (England) Regulations 2020 require?

Landlords of privately rented accommodation must:

Z.  

• Is a landlords ERIC coding different to any other report?