This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

Earthing for detached garage

Looking for some advice on what is required for earthing arrangements on a detached garage. I am in two minds about the need to convert the garage to a TT island.

House supply is TNS, but I probably have to assume it may be converted to TNCS in the future.

The garage is about 1.5m from the house, it has 2 double sockets and an LED light installed.

Feed to the garage is via steel conduit running down the house, through a concrete path and then up and along the outside of the garage. Then through the wall to a steel junction box and then plastic conduit to metal clad fittings.

If earth connection is disconnected from the steel conduit, testing with a continuity tester shows it to be isolated from earth, haven't tried an insulation test so far. There are no other services entering the garage and it's brick built without a steel frame.

At the moment I have the steel conduit connected to the cpc of a 2.5mm T+E cable and then single core 2.5mm earth cable continuing the earth from the steel junction box to the garage installation.

If an EV was connected to a garage socket for charging in the future it would have to be via a 15m cable. I think it would be far more likely that a EV charger would be put on the outside of the house close to where the car will be parked.

So can I say that as :-

The steel conduit is isolated from earth and therefore not an extraneous conductive part, no other extraneous conductive parts.

Sockets unlikely to be used for EV charging

Therefore OK to use TNS earth from the house without bringing 10mm earth bonding cable from the house???

Alternatively 

I could isolate the garage and put a an earth rod in

I could probably get a 10mm earth bonding to the conduit at the house side but getting the cable to the garage would require replacing the conduit which will be quite expensive for the customer on a job that's gone way over budget already due to a multitude of problems hidden under loft insulation and inside walls.

• Alan B: 

Looking for some advice on what is required for earthing arrangements on a detached garage. I am in two minds about the need to convert the garage to a TT island.

House supply is TNS, but I probably have to assume it may be converted to TNCS in the future.

The garage is about 1.5m from the house, it has 2 double sockets and an LED light installed.

Feed to the garage is via steel conduit running down the house, through a concrete path and then up and along the outside of the garage. Then through the wall to a steel junction box and then plastic conduit to metal clad fittings.

If earth connection is disconnected from the steel conduit, testing with a continuity tester shows it to be isolated from earth, haven't tried an insulation test so far. There are no other services entering the garage and it's brick built without a steel frame.

At the moment I have the steel conduit connected to the cpc of a 2.5mm T+E cable and then single core 2.5mm earth cable continuing the earth from the steel junction box to the garage installation.

If an EV was connected to a garage socket for charging in the future it would have to be via a 15m cable. I think it would be far more likely that a EV charger would be put on the outside of the house close to where the car will be parked.

So can I say that as :-

The steel conduit is isolated from earth and therefore not an extraneous conductive part, no other extraneous conductive parts.

Sockets unlikely to be used for EV charging

Therefore OK to use TNS earth from the house without bringing 10mm earth bonding cable from the house???

Alternatively 

I could isolate the garage and put a an earth rod in

I could probably get a 10mm earth bonding to the conduit at the house side but getting the cable to the garage would require replacing the conduit which will be quite expensive for the customer on a job that's gone way over budget already due to a multitude of problems hidden under loft insulation and inside walls.

I would suggest that a bare steel conduit running in an outdoor concrete path must be an extraneous conductive part. How could it not be?

What is there to main bond in the garage? A water pipe or gas pipe? The steel conduit could be earthed at its origin.

Having said that, 411.3.1.2 says “Where an installation serves more than one building the above requirements shall be applied to each building”. But the steel conduit may offer the same electrical properties as a length of 10mm2 copper green and yellow cable.

Z.

• If your steel conduit run between the house and garage is embedded under a concrete path, then you arguably already have the equivalent of a earth rod?

• whjohnson: 

If your steel conduit run between the house and garage is embedded under a concrete path, then you arguably already have the equivalent of a earth rod?

The O/P said “If earth connection is disconnected from the steel conduit, testing with a continuity tester shows it to be isolated from earth, haven't tried an insulation test so far. There are no other services entering the garage and it's brick built without a steel frame.”

I don't understand this at all. An unearthed underground steel conduit?

Z.

• If there are no mains services entering the garage, there is no requirement for bonding.

Is't that steel conduit an exposed conductive part?

• Chris Pearson: 

If there are no mains services entering the garage, there is no requirement for bonding.

Is't that steel conduit an exposed conductive part?

And if it runs in an outdoor concrete path an extraneous-conductive-part as well. Oh ek. It is only half of an extraneous-conductive-part as it may introduce a potential into an installation, normally an earth potential, but according to the definitions it is part of the electrical installation so is not fully an extraneous-conductive-part. “……not forming part of the electrical installation.”

But having said that, an exposed conductive part “can be touched and which is not normally live, but can become live under fault conditions”. But the steel conduit can't become live as it is earthed and a fault will cause the supply to be swiftly disconnected thus rendering it safe.

Z.

• Personally I would leave as it is as long as the cable is ok. 

• Any EV socket mounted outside would be better with lost PEN protection.

• Thanks all for the responses so far, in some ways reassuring to see that the question has caused some debate and I am not asking stupid questions.

Thinking about it I have only done a continuity test from the conduit to MET in the house so far. I have not carried out an actual loop test which may give me different results.

As some additional information the buried section of conduit is only about 1.2m long, not sure how deep it is but it could be just near the surface of the concreate which would put it just above ground level.

I think if I convert the garage to TT the biggest risk in an open PEN condition would be someone using a tool powered from the garage and then coming in to contact with the conduit which could be at the same voltage as the PEN.

If I isolate the conduit from the house I get the same problem with someone using a tool powered from the house.

Based on the current owner today I believe that either of the two above situations are more likely than an EV being plugged in to the garage.

There is also the added complication of a gas storage tank mounted on the outside of the garage with the gas pipe bonded in the house. The gas pipe is non insulated and within reach of the conduit. Thinking about this element the conduit has to be at the same potential as the PEN and connected to the house MET.

I think I am going to leave it as it is, if practical bond the conduit at the house end.

• In all seriousness I would leave things as they are, as suggested earlier. Ensure that the metal conduit is correctly earthed and have R.C.D. protection in the “garage unit”. I see no additional problems here. The conduit may offer a lower path to Earth after it has rained. It seems generally that too much is being made of possible P.M.E. supply issues. Street lights and bus shelters are P.M.E. supplied, as are outdoor domestic oil boilers. There are not heavy fatalities reported regarding these installations.

Quote. “I think if I convert the garage to TT the biggest risk in an open PEN condition would be someone using a tool powered from the garage and then coming in to contact with the conduit which could be at the same voltage as the PEN.”

Most appliances such as hand drills are class 2 these days. Gone are the old metal cased Wolf type electric drills. Wolf Sapphire 73 Electric drill | eBay

Metal cased Wolf electric drill

Vintage Wolf Drill | eBay

Z.

• Indeed, I too would probably just  export the MET earth - right now it presents as TNS, but even if it was PME, you have not described any situation that makes it desirable to have a PME house and a TT garage, especially as the conduit situation just makes it worse if you try and split. There is a reason that folk prefer SWA in such case - it is in effect as if the conduit had an additional insulating jacket - metal conduit is  a lot less elegant when you need a gapped CPC, it is hard to avoid simultaneous access.

Mike