This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

EICR - No SPD Coded C2

Former Community Member
Former Community Member

Hi, I have recently had a couple of EICRs performed for rental properties and on the report the inspector has put the following coding of C2 as there is no SPD fitted. 

“Inspection Schedule Item 4.20: Confirmation of indication that SPD is functional (651.4) is in a potentially dangerous condition. Urgent remedial action is required. ”  - C2

The consumer units are standard 18th edition purchased at screwfix within the last 3 months with both RCD & MCB protection but with no SPD's.  When I questioned this with the electrician that inspected, he told me that new legislation had recently come in that SPD's must now be fitted. Is this correct?

• No. No. No. For a normal domestic premises you would only fit an SPD if there could be large financial loss if equipment was damaged by surges on the mains or if there was a risk to life by such damage. This would normally be discussed with the customer to see if they want to take the risk. There is also a calculation specified in BS7671 which includes the lightning strike risk for the location and the length and type of supply to the premises to show if an SPD may be required.

I am sure someone with a better memory than me will be along to give the relevant numbers and the formula. 

• The sort of SPD that gets fitted to  consumer unit is not there to save lives.  If lightning strikes the building, the SPD will be gone long before you are.

It is there to clip short duration over-voltages of the kind that sometimes damage cheaply made (but sometimes expensive ) electronics. such spikes and surges arise from inductive loads being switched and perhaps lightning strikes miles away.  Traditional components like motors wire-wound transformers and immersion heaters are not affected by them anyway.

There is no way that its absence is a potential danger to life, unless perhaps you have some sort of life support equipment plugged in and then really a UPS is a better idea.

I think maybe someone wants to bill you for some work, perhaps the inspection fee was a set competitively  low on the assumption of finding something?

Surely there are other things wrong?

Mike.

• If the properties have brand new CUs, an EIC could only have been issued if they were compliant. If SPD is not fitted, presumably the decision was made that the total value of the installation and equipment therein does not justify such protection. 443.4

C2 is nonsense and in any event, whilst legislation requires compliance with BS 7671:2018, it does not require the fitting of SPDs.

• Former Community Member
    0 Former Community Member

If the properties have brand new CUs, an EIC could only have been issued if they were compliant

1. Why didn't the enforcing body who required the EICRs not accept the EICs?
    2. If the EIC's were not issued, why didn't the inspector observe this on his EICR?
    3. If the EICs were not issued, why not?

Regards

BOD

• he told me that new legislation had recently come in that SPD's must now be fitted. Is this correct?

A grain of truth - not helped by badly written legislation … which requires that privately rented homes have installations that comply with BS 7671:2018 but at the same time only requires a satisfactory EICR (which of itself doesn't show strict BS 7671:2018 compliance).

BS 7671:2018 quite possibly does require SPDs these days unless you're in a city-centre kind of environment (the risk assessment of reg 443.5 would tell you for sure).

As has been said though, lack of SPDs doesn't pose a safety risk to people. The risk they provide some protection against is damage to equipment, so unless there's some kind of life-support equipment involved I can't see how their omission could show up as a C1 or C2 on an EICR.

- Andy.

• perspicacious: 
    If the EICs were not issued, why not?

BOD, you forgot to ask about notification. ?

• Former Community Member
    0 Former Community Member

Slowly slowly Chris! 

Do you think the OP will “own up”?!

Regards

BOD

• I have my popcorn ready for when @davezawadi (David Stone) comes along on this one to add to his collection……

• You have to wonder what the thought process was if any to come up with C2 on a domestic condition report for lack of a SPD. Refund and start again would be the best policy.

• In a recent check, less than 12.5% of certain installations were found to be compliant with BS7671. Presently the number of “proper competent” EICRs is probably similar. Obviously, we need to re-assess “competent” with a rather better definition.