This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

Generation & Transmission Losses.

Are they really this bad. So let's make it a gas, man.

• One sustainability expert told MailOnline that the biggest problem that needs to be fixed is 'the shocking losses in the generation and transmission of energy in the UK, where two-thirds of energy is currently wasted'
  • Transmission losses from power station gate to consumer are generally reckoned as being about 10%. No great accuracy may be claimed as there are several slightly differing versions of losses, and the figures are continually changing.

Generation losses are much greater.

Coal is about 35% efficient under ideal conditions, maybe 25% in real world use with part load operation and start up and standby losses.

CCGT reaches 50% under ideal conditions, but averages about 33% in practice.

Solar is about 20% but sunlight is free

Wind about 50% but wind is free.

• I wonder whether the proportion of female BG personnel in the clip was representative? ?

Now I know what those fittings do - I noticed some in the plumbers' merchant when I was there last week. Perhaps safer than soldering although the machine hardly looked like it was made for confined spaces. Expensive too!

• broadgage: 
    Solar is about 20% but sunlight is free

Wind about 50% but wind is free.

Yes, but how do the capital costs compare?

• I didn't know that Boris was moonlighting as a gas engineer. And I bet that he can report a fault diagnosis in Latin as well.

You will never get me to accept crimped gas pipe joints ever.

One observer's view:

“I am worried the seals will fail faster than the pipe or solder joint would. From my experience soldered copper pipes seemed to have endured for a very long time. I am not sure how well the crimped fittings seal will last. From my limited perspective and generally speaking, soldered joints will last the life of the house.”

Z.

• Chris Pearson: 

I wonder whether the proportion of female BG personnel in the clip was representative? ?

Now I know what those fittings do - I noticed some in the plumbers' merchant when I was there last week. Perhaps safer than soldering although the machine hardly looked like it was made for confined spaces. Expensive too!

Everything is P.C. these days Chris. It has to be. Did you see the lass with the nice arm tattoos? Lovely! ………………………………..The tool is not exactly compact Chris, and the kuf-up potential is very great.

I won't be using one.

Plumbing does look challenging and fun though.

Z.

• “I didn't know that Boris was moonlighting as a gas engineer.”

Really Zoom, what makes you think that Boris has the intelligence, wit or foresight to be a gas engineer or indeed such as an electrician/electrical engineer etc etc. Is he qualified to even clean windows?

• ebee: 
    Really Zoom, what makes you think that Boris has the intelligence, wit or foresight to be a gas engineer or indeed such as an electrician/electrical engineer etc etc. Is he qualified to even clean windows?

He certainly doesn't have the hand skills. ?

• ebee: 

“I didn't know that Boris was moonlighting as a gas engineer.”

Erm, erm. Erm, I think it was the British Gas logo emblazed jacked that he was wearing that suggested his moonlighting as a gas fitter. That and his hands-on pipework skills.?

Z.

• A lot of nonsense here - but that is no surprise.

1. gas prices are rocketing, true but because the marginal electricity is entirely gas generated any increase in gas prices will increase electricity prices as well so you are stuffed either way.
    2. gas boilers banned in 2030 no, it is new gas boiler that are banned. (maybe). Installing an efficient condensing one now makes a lot of sense for the next 10 years