Want to post a reply? You'll need to log in  Having trouble logging in? Read our help guide
Trying to locate IET certificate for "Circuit Testing"
Sjdevlin
3 Posts
Question

I work in a small co-operative “maker space” community.  Our insurance requires us to have our electrical circuits tested to IET standards every five years but the wording in our insurance policy does not seem to match any IET certificates I can find.   The language in our policy is 

All electrical circuits must be tested at least every five years … …  to ensure that it meets current IET (The Institution of Engineering and Technology) Regulations and that an inspection certificate is issued following inspection.

This requirement seems to be more rigorous than a standard EICR certificate (which does not require every circuit to be tested).  Could any of the members point me to the inspection certificate our insurance company are referring to ?  Thank you for any help.

8 Replies
Chris Pearson
3072 Posts

BS 7671:2018 is also known as the IET Wiring Regulations 18th Edn - I have no doubt that this is what your insurance means.

If there are many, circuits may be sampled OR the wiring accessories on each circuit may be sampled, but NOT both.

Simon Barker
968 Posts

The official IET EICR (Electrical Installation Condition Report) form is available here: https://electrical.theiet.org/bs-7671/model-forms/

If they require every circuit to be tested, then test every circuit, and note the results down on the form.  Say so in Section D.

The approved schemes will have their own versions of the form.

Chris Pearson
3072 Posts

I might add that you could have a rolling test programme with 20% tested each year so 1, 6, 11, etc. in year 1; 2, 7, 12, etc. in year 2 and so on. That is not the same as sampling.

Sjdevlin
3 Posts

Thank you Simon.  I noticed that the example form is for domestic and we are more like small industrial (we have some 3 phase machinery).  Do you think it is still a standard EICR we need ?

Sjdevlin
3 Posts

Thanks Chris.  That would be more convenient but since we haven't had all the circuits tested for years I think we'll need to test all of them in one go if we are to meet the conditions of the insurance (the wording seems quite clear).  Looks like we need a standard EICR but make sure that the contractor test every circuit and note this in the report (as per Simon's suggestion) 

Chris Pearson
3072 Posts

The model schedule of inspections is intended for domestic-scale installations, i.e. 100 A rather than single phase, so it would be suitable for a 3 x 100 A industrial unit. A large house or one whose owner has some bigger than average machines might well have a three phase supply.

Sparkingchip
4625 Posts

Sjdevlin: 

All electrical circuits must be tested at least every five years … …  to ensure that it meets current IET (The Institution of Engineering and Technology) Regulations and that an inspection certificate is issued following inspection.

That is a bit of an onerous requirement.

mapj1
4166 Posts

It may well be perfectly safe but not meet the current regs - usually not having any immediate dangers or potential hazards is enough for a satisfactory report, perhaps with a few recommended improvements - its a bit of an inside  joke  but fully compliant installations, even new ones, are not that common.

Mike

Share:

Want to post a reply? You'll need to log in  Having trouble logging in? Read our help guide