Want to post a reply? You'll need to log in  Having trouble logging in? Read our help guide
Night time lighting of public shelter/evacuation center.
broadgage
781 Posts
Question

Is there any guidance as to what level of overnight lighting should be provided in an indoor sports hall if this be used for emergency overnight shelter/sleeping after some emergency.

The existing lighting is T8 fluorescent and gives three switch selectable lighting levels, but the lowest of these is clearly very excessive if people are sleeping, whereas total darkness clearly carries risk of trips, falls, and other accidents.

I was thinking about providing two levels, 10 lux initially and then 1 lux. I lux is several times that provided by moonlight and “sounds about right” But is there any better guidance than me thinking “that sounds about right.”

10 lux being provided as an intermediate level between daytime lighting and overnight lighting. 

11 Replies
Zoomup
3516 Posts

Is this lighting level to be uniform over the whole floor area or just “walkways” and access points?

The I.E.T's booklet “Electrician's Guide to Emergency Lighting, 3rd Edition” discusses anti-panic lighting, which is the nearest to your situation that I can think of. It covers large areas above 60m2. Two or more luminaires per room should be used for reliability, in case one fails. Clause 4.3 of B.S. E.N. 1838 applies.

0.5 lx is mentioned at floor level. The ratio of maximum to minimum of the anti-panic lighting illuminance shall not be greater than 40:1.

I imagine that your lighting scheme will resemble that of a cinema. (Remember them?) People sleep through films, so that proves that the lighting level there is o.k. for sleeping. Also, the low lighting is suitable for back row biological activities as well.

So, I reckon that you need just enough light for people with night adjusted eyes, to get up to visit the bog or go outside for a smoke. But, if people are coming and going as well, they must be prevented from walking into sleeping people or tripping over their luggage,  pets or little Johnny's skateboard or scooter..

Z.

gkenyon
1643 Posts

Zoomup: 

Also, the low lighting is suitable for back row biological activities as well.

Might be permitted at the current stage of the CV Roadmap 😲

broadgage
781 Posts

Night lighting will be required over the entire floor area since the layout of folding beds, other furniture, and obstructions is unknown.

Zoomup
3516 Posts

broadgage: 

Night lighting will be required over the entire floor area since the layout of folding beds, other furniture, and obstructions is unknown.

Some visitors may use their smart phone torches, pocket torches or torches loaned to them after they pay a deposit to secure the return of the loaned torch.

Z.

perspicacious
658 Posts

emergency overnight shelter/sleeping after some emergency.

Some will consider it an emergency if they can't charge their phones……………………

Any provision for this?

Regards

BOD

broadgage
781 Posts

Yes there will be provision for phone charging.

The building is equipped with a standby generator and this supplies a number of non standard 13 amp sockets.

I have made up a number of leads fitted with non standard 13 amp plugs, and 36 standard sockets for charging phones and other portable electronics.

Chris Pearson
2874 Posts

perspicacious: 

emergency overnight shelter/sleeping after some emergency.

Some will consider it an emergency if they can't charge their phones……………………

Any provision for this?

Regards

BOD

I suspect that BOD was being BAD. 😉

The human species thrived for millennia before mobile phones.

Zoomup
3516 Posts

Is the standby generator noisey? Please won't be able to sleep if it is.

Z.

aligarjon
132 Posts

As you don't want the room in complete darkness, depending on size. Some well positioned maintained emergency lights could serve all purposes.

Gary

Zoomup
3516 Posts

“There were more night raids during January 1941. We had no shelter ourselves, nor was there a street shelter nearby, but a neighbour three doors away had asked us to share theirs during the daylight raids. This offer was repeated when the Blitz got going. Every night I had to hurry home from school, eat my tea, and try to finish my homework before the siren went. Bombers usually arrived about seven pm. My school was seven miles away from my house so I was rarely home before five pm. The evenings were a rush followed by hours of forced idleness sitting in a cold damp shelter lit only by a couple of tiny paraffin lamps. Often I had to learn poetry but could hardly see to read it.”

Z.

Zoomup
3516 Posts

“….why would you pay an arm (severed below the elbow) and a leg for the privilege of sitting in a dark room with masticating strangers?”

People won't get much sleep in the shelter at night. Others will disturb them by, talking, burping, farting, using electronic devices, shuffling about, snoring, making soup, opening noisy packet of snacks like crisps, heavy breathing, playing about , getting up to visit the bog and then returning later, and babies will cry.

Why the panic about texting in cinemas? Phones can breathe new life into old spaces | Arwa Mahdawi | The Guardian

Z.

Share:

Want to post a reply? You'll need to log in  Having trouble logging in? Read our help guide