Want to post a reply? You'll need to log in  Having trouble logging in? Read our help guide
What's the possible fault?
Falcs
2 Posts
Question

Hi everyone, I have a slight problem that hopefully someone can shed some light on. So my electric cooker fuse kept on tripping whenever I tried to turn it on using the selector switch, 

I noticed the bulb in the oven had blown, so I took it out and it started working for a few days before it started doing it again,

I then replaced the bulb, and the oven started working again for a few days before it started tripping again. 

Ive noticed that my dishwasher doesn't switch on, and the cooker hood doesn't switch on either.

Is it possible for all 3 appliances to be connected to the same circuit as to why they aren't working, or could there be an electrical fault within the circuit.

Or could it just be the oven causing the problem. 

Any help will be much appreciated.

8 Replies
jbrameld
75 Posts

We probably need a bit more information to assist further.

When you say the ‘cooker fuse trips’ do you mean the MCB in your consumer unit (fusebox) labelled ‘cooker’ trips off?  What is the rating on the MCB - it should have a number on it like ‘B16’ or 'B32' - a photo of the consumer unit may help a bit.

If you leave the cooker switched off on the selector, will the ‘cooker’ MCB in the fusebox then stay on, and do the cooker hood and dishwasher then work OK?

If you then flick the 'cooker' MCB off, do the dishwasher and cooker hood go off?

Is there a local wall switch for the cooker as well?  Does switching this on and off affect whether the cooker hood and dishwasher work?

A cooker circuit normally only feeds the cooker, but it's not unheard of for kitchen fitters or even ‘electricians’ to do strange things with circuits!

Chris Pearson
2874 Posts

I think that you need to call in an electrician.

Jaymack
211 Posts

Falcs: 
Or could it just be the oven causing the problem. 

Any help will be much appreciated.

You seem to have a tripping RCD. The faults you describe may be the straw on the camel's back and not caused by that particular appliance. A test of the circuits on a common RCD should determine the leakage current in mA of each circuit.

Jaymack 

Falcs
2 Posts

Hi yes the MCB in the fusebox it's on a 20amp MCB. It's got to the point now where everything is switched off and the MCB will not stay in the on position it trips instantly. There is a grid switch and all the switches are in the off position. 

222efdd3510dac7d58a75b89e5967578-origina
e6b95097022302cbb5eee5c0e7625065-origina
AJJewsbury
2828 Posts

OK, so it's tripping on overcurrent - so either a major fault in the wiring somewhere (probably at the consumer unit or the grid switches or somewhere in between), or just a faulty MCB (occasionally they do fail, and not ‘latching’ when reset is a bit of a classic). Really you need someone with the appropriate test equipment both to help locate the fault(s) and to ensure that any remedy really has fixed the underlying problem(s) (sometimes faults seem to come in twos or threes - as the stress from one short-circuit occasionally seems to expose weaknesses elsewhere).

- Andy.

Andrew Ince
30 Posts

Are all the 6 appliances on the grid switch fed off the 20Amp MCB? If so it has probably been stressed since the load even allowing for diversity is likely to exceed 20Amp. Washing machine, dishwasher, hob (4 rings?), oven, extractor all on a 20 Amp circuit? Usually 10mm² T+E cable used to supply cooker outlet using 40A MCB so I'd expect similar. This should be checked before replacing MCB with a higher rated breaker. Without suitable test equipment and knowledge you'll need help from an electrician to ensure a safe repair.

AJJewsbury
2828 Posts

hob (4 rings?)

Or quite often a gas hob with the electrics just to provide ignition…

- Andy.

ebee
1261 Posts

“Are all the 6 appliances on the grid switch fed off the 20Amp MCB?” I think you`d need to open up the gridswitch to confirm how many MCBs are feeding which switches on that. Call an electrician it does merit not to be attempted to the non qualified 

Share:

Want to post a reply? You'll need to log in  Having trouble logging in? Read our help guide