This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

EV Chargers located at commercial premises - or lack of?

https://www.cornwalllive.com/news/cornwall-news/touring-electric-coach-stranded-eden-5524525

Oh dear!

The Shell 170 kW charger is a big beast, a couple of those would likely hit the local network? Although perhaps not that day...

Clive
  • "Recognised but fails to charge" sounds like software or overload settings, or maybe an overkeen off-earth detector.

I bet it is the first load of that size to be plugged in since the socket was fitted...

If they have a granny lead perhaps they can ask to plug it in to a spare socket behind the reception desk for a few hours days?

Google reckons the battery is 422KWhr, so 37 hours  at say 12A should do it. Better uncoil the lead so it does not overheat.

M.
  • Perhaps a few of these:-  
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/313449280108?   located near to the rear seat would assist?

Perhaps not?

Clive
  • https://www.facebook.com/176751642902390/posts/886221528622061/
  • What, no granny lead supplied? ?
  • mapj1:

"Recognised but fails to charge" sounds like software or overload settings, or maybe an overkeen off-earth detector.

I bet it is the first load of that size to be plugged in since the socket was fitted...

If they have a granny lead perhaps they can ask to plug it in to a spare socket behind the reception desk for a few hours days?

Google reckons the battery is 422KWhr, so 37 hours  at say 12A should do it. Better uncoil the lead so it does not overheat.

M.

It would take longer than 37 hours to charge a 422 kwhr battery from a 13 amp supply. 

One might presume that a battery able to supply 422 kwh on discharge will need a bit more than that to charge it, and also that the battery charger is not 100% efficient.

A reasonable estimate might be 450 kwh from the mains to fully charge a 422 kwh battery, that suggests that with a 3 kw/13 amp supply that a full charge would take 150 hours, or nearly 6 days.

An overnight stop of say 15 hours would give a potentially useful 10% charge.

• Oh dear. This is likely to become commonplace with this quite mad electric everything idea. Have you seen how many coaches there are in Summer, Cornwall will need its own nuclear power station very soon? Realistically that battery will need a good charge every day when touring, coaches for long-distance have engines in the 300 HP range, and Devon and Cornwall are very hilly!
  • The stranded electric coach is now truly "carbon neutral".

Z.
  • No problem, a nice big diesel breakdown truck will soon get that home ? Maybe if the driver rests his foot on the brake pedal the regen system will charge the battery ?
  • Risibly the Planet Mark Website is suggesting that the reason the bus is still at the Ednen Project & wont be in Cheltenham on the 17th of  June and Swindon on the 18th  June is "rising covid infections"  with no mention at all of 'ran out of juice' ...

I think they are foolish to cover it up - to mislead in this way invites mockery and shows them to be dishonest - they should be more open when there are real problems with this sort of thing. This tour is after all an experiment, and as all good engineers know, you learn far more from the ones that do not go smoothly.

Actually quite I'm impressed it got there from London on one charge to be honest.

Mike.

• Former Community Member
    0 Former Community Member
    Charging stations having reliability problems, generally either due to lack of maintenance or issues with network connectivity for payment/authorisation is a known problem, but having failed to charge a custom-vehicle at five separate locations I would be suspicious of some kind of fault with the coach. Perhaps not-quite meeting the charging standard in some way, or perhaps meeting it technically but being sufficiently different from the vehicles the chargers have been tested with to find some bug or corner case with them.

Actually I think something like a coach is an obvious candidate for supporting a decent AC charge rate (22 or 43 kW) in addition to the DC charging, The weight penalty of adding such a charger to the coach is minimal given its size, and AC charge points are inherently more reliable, being little more than a mains connector and some basic signalling.