This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

EV Charging using 13amp external socket outlet

Former Community Member
Former Community Member
For an external socket outlet to be used as a dedicated EV charging point, what are the earthing arrangements ? Given it will be RCD protected. I assuming this socket outlet will be considered as an EV Charging point under the regs.

Is mode 1 not allowed in the UK anymore? I read this in an article done by IET Wiring matter "According to a note in IEC 61851 Mode 1 charging is not permitted in the UK". If so why is it still in the regs?

Thanks.

J
  • The lead with the 13A plug on it will have a plastic bump in it that tells the car not to take more than 13A and sorts out the interlock to not energise when not plugged in, that  the car is expecting. This is in effect mode 2, with a 13A plug. As far as  I know all current EV cars require this interface to be actively driven in one form or another to start the charging  process.

Mike.
  • We've ended up in an unworkable situation here.

If you buy an EV, you can get a "granny lead" to go with it.  It's an extension lead with a 13A plug on one end, a car charging plug at the other, and a box of electronics in the middle that emulates a charging point.  So the car thinks it's plugged into a charger,

According to the IET, you are only supposed to put your 13A plug into a socket that's marked "EV" on the back.  Yes, it's really supposed to be marked on the back of the socket, where you can't see it.  It's a ridiculous rule.  Nobody is responsible for enforcing it, nobody can enforce it, and most people won't even know that the rule exists.
  • johnwicklover:

For an external socket outlet to be used as a dedicated EV charging point, what are the earthing arrangements ? Given it will be RCD protected. I assuming this socket outlet will be considered as an EV Charging point under the regs.

Is mode 1 not allowed in the UK anymore? I read this in an article done by IET Wiring matter "According to a note in IEC 61851 Mode 1 charging is not permitted in the UK". If so why is it still in the regs?

Thanks.

J

Mode 2 charging also uses a standard socket-outlet. This is the "granny lead" people talk about that comes with a new EV.

Mode 2 leads have an in-cable control box which has some safety features built in, whereas Mode 1 does not.

Even though Mode 1 charging should not be found on a new car, there needs to be provision for existing vehicles also.

• Simon Barker:

According to the IET, .

No, according to BS 7671 which is not simply "the IET" - see the front of the publication for the constitution of JPEL/64, the committee that is responsible for BS 7671.

you are only supposed to put your 13A plug into a socket that's marked "EV" on the back. Yes, it's really supposed to be marked on the back of the socket, where you can't see it. It's a ridiculous rule. Nobody is responsible for enforcing it, nobody can enforce it, and most people won't even know that the rule exists.

which is precisely why the IET's position, as published in the IET Code of Practice for Electric Vehicle Charging Equipment Installation recommends a label that is visible to the user (Section 4.9, Figure 4.4).
  • And what is the difference between an "EV" 13 amp socket and an ordinary one ? I suspect that the "EV" ones may be designed to supply 13 amps !.

10 amps seems to be about the sensible limit for standard types of so called 13 amp sockets, at least for long hour use.

Most appliances sold these days are limited to about 10 amps, apart from kettles which tend to be OK due to the very short term use.
  • There are differences in some of the type tests in BS 1363-2.

But the point remains, and I think this is what Simon Barker was really trying to get at ... you can still drive to someone else's house and plug in a Mode 2 (or Mode 1) charging cable, and charge at the same rate, regardless of whether the BS 1363-2 socket-outlet is or is not marked "EV", and also regardless of the earthing arrangement in the installation.
  • Do not think so, as I understand it (second hand though, as no, I'm not paying that much for a copy with only a couple of new paragraphs either) at least for now the current test and the temp rise tests are the same as normal 13A sockets. The number of insertion cycles has been increased.

Really, based on what I have seen better contacts would be in order, and probably better pin materials or plating on the mating plug - it seems to be mostly the oxidation of brass that slowly pushes up the resistance until something cooks, and/or weak springs in the socket so there is not much of a wiping action to clean things.

Just maybe the gold palladium nickel plated plug audiophiles were onto something after all, but as so often, the wrong thing ... Probably cobalt/gold would be better.... it's harder to scratch off.

Mike.

(gold plated plug and silver plated fuses exist ... I kid you not  )
  • mapj1:

Do not think so, as I understand it (second hand though, as no, I'm not paying that much for a copy with only a couple of new paragraphs either) at least for now the current test and the temp rise tests are the same as normal 13A sockets.

I don't agree with this assessment. From the last TWO versions of the standard (BS 1363-2:2016 and BS 1363-2:2016+A1:2018)

1. The making and breaking tests for "/EV" socket-outlets according to Clauses 17.1.2 (socket-outlet contacts) and 17.1.3 (switches) are performed at a power factor of 0.6 +0, -0.05 lagging (see Clause 17.2). Normally, the loads for the making and breaking tests are non-inductive.

2. The insertion/extraction under load (15,000 of each) and switch on and off under load (15000 of each) tests of Clause 18, normally carried out with non-inductive load at the socket-outlet rated current, is again performed for "/EV" at a power factor of 0.6 +0, -0.05 lagging.

3. There is an additional cyclic loading test (Clause 26) for "/EV" socket-outlets, at which the socket-outlet is loaded up to between 13 and 13.4 A, for 28 no. cycles of '8h on'-'1h off'-'8h on'-'7h off'.

There were no requirements for BS 1363/EV socket-outlets in earlier versions of the standard (BS 1363-2:1995+A4:2012).

• As you have a copy and I don't, can you tell me if  the RMS test current  or the maximum permitted temperature rise changed ? Resistively heating pins  do not care about the phase  or magnitude of the voltage, just the RMS current.

I agree interrupting a inductive load involves more burn from the back EMF.

Given the way an EVSE works there should not be much make (or break) under load unless there is a fault, and there will be a transorb to catch the worst indignity -  if anything I'd expect PF to be a bit capacitive from EMC filters. The one thing there is not going to be is a 50Hz iron core transformer ? Odd.

M.
  • No, there are no changes for RMS test current or maximum permitted temperature rise for the other tests, they are all as per a non-"/EV" outlet. I understand (although this is only second hand) that no special design changes have been put in place by manufacturers, just the type-tests accommodated to enable the "/EV" marking.

I also tend to agree that, if the most common failure mode is going to be tarnishing, nothing has necessarily been addressed to change that. I have a feeling from experience of appliance repair, that there's more risk of a problem with the plug than the socket-outlet, and possibly over 8 hours a risk of heat around fuses if the fuse clips or endcaps become tarnished.

Anyway, BS 1363-1 also contains requirements for a "BS 1363/EV" plug, which only has an additional cyclic loading test ... so perhaps we'll all be OK provided both are used together ??? ?