Want to post a reply? You'll need to log in  Having trouble logging in? Read our help guide
Is this safe?
GC
2 Posts
Question
My friend has just had transformer boxes installed in her kitchen units. To me this looks strange. Does anyone know if this poses a problem as she has children in the house.

13 Replies
broadgage
725 Posts
It looks a rather poor job to me.
The slight risks include,
1) Lack of fixings or supports for the presumed twin with earth cables entering the junction boxes. Repeated movement could result in loose connections.
2) Risk of the transformer or junction boxes being broken by heavy items like cans of food, and live parts being exposed.
3) Risk of fire if the transformers become covered with thermally insulating materials such a pile of dusters.

Not great risks, but still not right.
mapj1
3753 Posts
Is that the top of the cupboard or the bottom ?
How are the lights turned on and off - is the transformer on all the time ? - I;d be interested at the quality of the attachment of the things it supplies and any switches that regularly get touched to operate it
It looks a bit amateur but is probably not breaking the letter of any rules.
It does not look well supported, I'd expect to see brackets or clips, screws and so forth, and to be able to give it a reasonable tug without it moving about.on the wiring, I suppose there may be concealed sticky pads, but even if there are, it would still count as  looking  a bit rough - which makes me wonder about the quality of the rest of the installation.
Depending on the level of cupboard and what goes in it,  rather more mechanical protection may be advisable. A heavy strike with  a saucepan, or conductive liquids like spilt orange juice will not be deterred by the plastic covers on the terminals. (hence the top of the cupboard is often a better place for such things,) A cupboard of tea towels will not mechanically damage it, but smothering so it runs warm  is not good for the lifetime reliability
If everyone is careful around it, it will last fine for years, and that may be the calculation. It will not survive rough treatment, depending on the users that may or may not be OK.
Mike.
GC
2 Posts
The box and wires is at the bottom of a kitchen cupboard where children go into it regularly. To me it is hazardous and unusable for everyday kitchen items.The LED lights underneath the box are flashing on and off all the time too.
Chris Pearson
2686 Posts
It would be much better if the junction box (on the right) and the transformer were screwed down. A curious child might want to pull it out, which would not be a good idea. Ideally, it should be boxed in, which is a job for a chippy rather than a sparks.
Sparkingchip
4245 Posts
That possibly gets the Badger of the Week award, rough as.
ebee
1199 Posts
Well one of the most important of our regs is "Good workmanship and proper material" or some such words.
It appears to break that one for a start.
If done as a paid job then it is not of reasonable quality either.
If I understand what I can see then it is a terrible job more fitting to a third rate, third world banana republic.
Tomgunn
208 Posts
I think it's a very poor job! 

Where has he picked the power up from???

Needs boxing, at least - with some form of vent, and fixed properly!
AdrianWint
53 Posts
Where did he stable his horse?

Lets hope it was a cheap job.......
AJJewsbury
2698 Posts
1) Lack of fixings or supports for the presumed twin with earth cables entering the junction boxes. Repeated movement could result in loose connections.

Is that a Wago Box in the picture - if so it might have in-built cable restraints (like https://www.screwfix.com/p/wago-junction-box/7355F).

I agree it's horrible job though. If you have to have something like that it would be a little better on top of the cabinet (although that's ideal either as that
sometimes gets used for storage too).

- Andy.
Chris Pearson
2686 Posts
Looks like a Wagobox Light to me, in which case Andy is correct. That assumes, of course, that the wee black restraints are all present and correct.
The flashing of the lights shows a loose connection as I posted three or 4 weeks ago, the job is terrible and potentially dangerous for all the reasons above. Have you an invoice, I should like to have a copy for my EICR pile. I assume you have a minor works certificate too, again a copy please. davezawadi (at) yahoo.co.uk. Remove the " (at) " and replace with @ to post.

Thanks
David CEng etc.
Zoomup
3131 Posts
davezawadi (David Stone):
The flashing of the lights shows a loose connection as I posted three or 4 weeks ago, the job is terrible and potentially dangerous for all the reasons above. Have you an invoice, I should like to have a copy for my EICR pile. I assume you have a minor works certificate too, again a copy please. davezawadi (at) yahoo.co.uk. Remove the " (at) " and replace with @ to post.

Thanks
David CEng etc.

Or the power supply is not compatible with the lighting string, or it is overloaded and disconnects automatically to protect itself. Although a loose connection is the most likely cause. Bang a cupboard  door closed and it disturbs the electrical connection.

Z.

aligarjon
120 Posts
The flashing lights might be a feature of the lights? I fitted some for a customer last week where you could get them to flash with the music, strobe or just stay on.  All controlled by his phone.  It just looks like a standard cabinet light job where the junction has been poorly installed in the cabinet instead of below where it could be seen because of poorly designed pelmets where they expect you to install lights with invisible wiring.

Gary

Share:

Want to post a reply? You'll need to log in  Having trouble logging in? Read our help guide