Want to post a reply? You'll need to log in  Having trouble logging in? Read our help guide
Wrong polarity on kitchen edison batten holders:Coding.
hertzal123
75 Posts
Question
Doing a condition report where the diy tenant has gone mad with surface plastic conduit downstairs to
add extra light points to varius rooms.In the kitchen are 6 edison holders on ceiling besa boxes.Noticed polarity
was wrong on the 1st one checked.My 1st thought for a coding was C2,but the lamp would need removing to
expose the live terminals,the same as a bc lampholder,which has the same danger of touching live parts .So would C3 be more appropriate?The live terminal
contacts when the lamp is fully inserted.
                                                    Regards,
                                                           Hz
11 Replies
Chris Pearson
2703 Posts
That's an interesting one. We have just been discussing lamp-holders.

I suggest C1 or C3.

The idea with ES is that the line is the central pin so that a finger, for example, comes into contact with N before L and any shock is just across the finger tip.

Quite right that in normal use, no conductor is exposed. But consider a broken lamp. When you reach up with a pair of pliers, you grasp L instead of N.

In practical terms, with the lamp-holders mounted on BESA boxes, it should be easy enough to fix - just charge an extra tenner or two.
Zoomup
3166 Posts

Can the outer threaded metal ring of a lamp be touched?

Is the lamp holder compliant with BS EN 60238?

Z.
Sparkingchip
4261 Posts
C2
gkenyon
1555 Posts
hertzal123:
Doing a condition report where the diy tenant has gone mad with surface plastic conduit downstairs to
add extra light points to varius rooms.In the kitchen are 6 edison holders on ceiling besa boxes.Noticed polarity
was wrong on the 1st one checked.My 1st thought for a coding was C2,but the lamp would need removing to
expose the live terminals,the same as a bc lampholder,which has the same danger of touching live parts .So would C3 be more appropriate?The live terminal
                                                    Regards,
                                                           Hz

Zoom has it right ... the polarity issue doesn't apply to some ES lampholders. If the lampholder complies with BS EN 60238, AND is either E14 or E27, then there is no problem. Regulation 559.5.1.206 and 643.6 (ii)..

AJJewsbury
2698 Posts
gkenyon:
hertzal123:
                                                    Regards,
                                                           Hz

Zoom has it right ... the polarity issue doesn't apply to some ES lampholders. If the lampholder complies with BS EN 60238, AND is either E14 or E27, then there is no problem. Regulation 559.5.1.206 and 643.6 (ii)..

Agreed - any vaguely modern E27/E14 lampholder won't have a metal threaded ring contact, but two contacts at the base of the holder and a plastic thread for holding the lamp base - so both the L and N are similarly recessed.

- Andy.

hertzal123
75 Posts
Many thanks for all the replies,its a long time since I,ve seen an E27 holder with a metal thread,come to think of it.
                                                                                                                        Regards,
                                                                                                                               Hz
Sparkingchip
4261 Posts
hertzal123:
Many thanks for all the replies,its a long time since I,ve seen an E27 holder with a metal thread,come to think of it.
                                                                                                                        Regards,
                                                                                                                               Hz

Have a look on Fleabay

Sparkingchip
4261 Posts
How about a handy GU10 to E27 adapter?

AJJewsbury
2698 Posts
OK ok - perhaps I should have said "any vaguely modern standards compliant E27/E14 lampholder"...
   - Andy.
Chris Pearson
2703 Posts
So there I was last week up a step-ladder using all three hands outstretched to poke my probes into an ES lamp-holder for an eternity whilst 3 Lo did its thing measuring Zs ...

The outermost screw thread was metal, but it wasn't connected to N. I had to probe deeper for the one that was.

It wasn't made any easier by the fact that once the (outdoors) lamp-holder was fitted to the wall, the paint made getting a good earth nigh on impossible.
Sparkingchip
4261 Posts
AJJewsbury:
OK ok - perhaps I should have said "any vaguely modern standards compliant E27/E14 lampholder"...
   - Andy.

All readily available in the UK, the GU10 to E27 adapter introduces a game of Russian Roulette with a 50/50 chance of having either correct or incorrect polarity.

Share:

Want to post a reply? You'll need to log in  Having trouble logging in? Read our help guide