This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

Coding, basically!

Assume a scenario where everything else in a domestic property is satisfactory but with the following exceptions -

Consumer unit is plastic but not in an escape route.

Consumer unit is MK 16th ed split load, with single RCD protection on one side but with the mcbs replaced by RCBOs for all circuits on the other side.

No surge protection present, and all other devices function correctly.

Tails are 16mm but there a 60A fuse in the cut out - verified during a meter change recently.

So, what, if any coding should be applied? I am at a complete loss to fail it in any respect.

• Sounds okay to me.
  • You could add that it’s a Type AC RCD to the list, but as there’s a 60 amp main fuse it won’t be an issue if it is rated at 63 amps.
  • whj, why are you asking?

SPD depends upon the situation. Even if a risk assessment shows that the installation is vulnerable, it is not mandatory, so I wouldn't code that.

C3 for a non-compliant CU is all that I would give from the description.
  • The question is why do you want to "fail" it? I assume you have an EICR from someone else who has a list of code 1's as long as your arm?
  • Plastic consumer unit is a non-compliance so C3 for me. I am aware some documents mention escape routes which I dot agree with.

The RCD protection complies with BS 7671 so no report.

No SPD I would not mention unless overhead supply, building has LPS or safety services installed.

16mm tails on a 60A fuse no issue.
  • No previous EICR and no, I do not wish to fail the installation. Too many are 'failed' on weak evidence combined with ignorance, inexperience or hearsay these days.

I just thought I would solicit a few opinions to see what kind of reactions the description of the installation invoked - '.A Run A Flag Up The Mast to see who salutes' kind of exercise.

I am relieved to find a pretty good consensus here. EICRs are getting the profession a bad name right now, and I was half expecting a 10 page argument as to what did and what did not comply and what did not and why. Thankfully this has not happened!

Next question - The new Landlord regs apply to long term domestic tenants, but what applies to holiday lets? Is the frequency of inspections the same - I rather suspect that they are less onerous.

And finally, a long overdue thank you to all who have responded to my various questions over the years.
  • lack of surge is a note for me , unless other circumstances.

obvious c3 for me re the plastic fusebord , but and i say but with tongue in cheek !, the napit code breaker book states a c2 for a plastic db with no thermal or other damage if it’s mounted under the stairs , my opinion is it’s still a c3 if in good order , and that’s the nub bright there , it’s engineering judgement by an inspector who should have the necessary experience and expertise, and in the current market those 2 attributes are in short supply .
  • - The new Landlord regs apply to long term domestic tenants, but what applies to holiday lets? Is the frequency of inspections the same - I rather suspect that they are less onerous.

I carry out many Inspection and Tests every year in holiday lets. Some are wooden chalets, some small brick built cottages and some very large traditional houses. My inspection and testing is very thorough.

Fails can be due to previous developers doing up a building on the cheap or in a hurry.

Fails can be due to abuse of the installation by children or pets. Spilled liquids, flexes chewed through by pets if I am PATg. Smoke alarm batteries stolen for whatever reason.

Because the holiday lets are used by any old body anything can happen. So the installation has to be very safe and tested thoroughly.

Inadequate main bonding is sometimes found. Loose or cracked  wiring accessories. 

The job can take at least half a day if not longer.

When carrying out inspection and testing I represent the property owner and want to protect their interests.

I also want to protect the visiting guests.

I have a serious responsibility to consider ALL aspects of use and the current condition of the installation. I sometimes walk through the building imagining it being occupied, and just how safe it is. It is not a job to be rushed.

Z.

• 24Hour:

lack of surge is a note for me , unless other circumstances.

obvious c3 for me re the plastic fusebord , but and i say but with tongue in cheek !, the napit code breaker book states a c2 for a plastic db with no thermal or other damage if it’s mounted under the stairs , my opinion is it’s still a c3 if in good order , and that’s the nub bright there , it’s engineering judgement by an inspector who should have the necessary experience and expertise, and in the current market those 2 attributes are in short supply .

The lack of S.P.Ds is a contentious issue. Most customers do not understand them, they just think that we want to profit from their installation. They are expensive and a pain to install in some cases. Also, do they really work for sustained long fault overvoltages?

I have seen many local cases of damage due to long sustained overvoltages when an S.P.D. probably would not have helped. Perhaps they are good for short transient overvoltages but for a long term fault I do not think so.

Z.

• whjohnson:

Assume a scenario where everything else in a domestic property is satisfactory but with the following exceptions -

Consumer unit is plastic but not in an escape route.

Consumer unit is MK 16th ed split load, with single RCD protection on one side but with the mcbs replaced by RCBOs for all circuits on the other side.

No surge protection present, and all other devices function correctly.

Tails are 16mm but there a 60A fuse in the cut out - verified during a meter change recently.

So, what, if any coding should be applied? I am at a complete loss to fail it in any respect.

A plastic consumer unit, C3. No big deal if  it is undamaged. There must still be millions in use. We do not seem to have heard of many, or any, plastic consumer unit fires recently. I wonder why?

Z.