This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

Multicore cable selections

Sorry if I'm in 'scratched record' mode here with all of my posts including 'multicore' in the title, but does anyone have any suggestions for standards-based (so fully BS7671-compliant) multicore cables for carrying 6 or 8 separate circuits for fixed installations?

Application is generally theatre lighting and running between a dimmer or switched controller to an internally wired lighting bar (normally permanently) suspended above a performance area.  6 or 8 circuits per bar is common.  12 is less common.  More than that is unusual.  Loads generally are fairly lo providing power to LED fixtures, but we still have some that need dimmed capability for tungsten (generally 10A circuits)

Options we have considered:

1) Multiple T&E - compliant but to me (for no real sound technical reason) feels like a 'cheap' job in a professional environment

2) Multicore SWA - compliant, professional but a bit harder to pull in an terminate

3) Multicore HO7RN-F - slightly limited selection of sizes/cores but can be made to work - easy to install and terminate and compliant

4) Multicore YY - not fully standards-compliant.  You can see some of my other posts on this but let's not re-open that debate here.......

5) 6491X Singles - fine if we have a full containment system - but normally we don't and run on basket/tray in ceiling voids, trunking at the dimmer room and flexi conduit drops to the bars.

Anything else out there you've come across that would be good for this application?

Thanks in advance

Jason.
  • Do they need separate cores for the neutrals or can they share a single neutral?
  • Generally separate neutrals.