This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

Flexible Steel Conduit Diameter?

Is the quoted diameter for flexible steel conduit the internal or external diameter? Or is it a sort of nominal diameter which cannot be measured?

Simply I am looking to protect a MDPE water supply pipe beneath a suspended floor from whatever may live under there - putting a Lidl endoscope through a hole found a dead rat..

What has come to mind is flexible steel conduit, MDPE water pipe is 25mm outside diameter, so would certainly fit inside 40 mm flexible steel conduit, but would it go through 32 mm conduit?  It is only the last 2 or 3 metres which will need protecting. The ends will be sealed, especially in the case of if I had to use 40mm.

Thanks.

Clive

• Generally  (well up to 32mm) it is the clearance hole it will pass through - the larger of the OD measured over the ridges. (so 20mm hole cutter  will make holes that 20mm conduit will pass , just.)

At least one catalogue I have says the

ID of 20mm is 16.5mm the

ID of 25mm is 19.9mm and the

ID of 32mm is 26.4mm

ID of 50mm is 41mm

I am not sure if there are variations between makers this website   seems to be a few tenths of mm at odds on the small sizes and the very large sizes from 50mm and up seem to change to ID rather than OD..

Mike.

• Thanks Mike.

A 25mm OD pipe I think would be somewhat snug in a 26.4mm ID flexible pipe. (The 2.5mm 3093Y in a 20mm pvc conduit back in October was fun around the bends although OK along the straight)

I will play safe and use 40mm.

Clive
  • We did use some 32mm a few years ago, maybe neater using the smaller dimeter?
  • I would have preferred 32mm flex conduit, but may have been tight over 25mm OD MDPF, certainly if we were usuing 20mm OD MDPF, then no problem.

Interestingly in my search for some cheap flex conduit, I found some on eBay from a supplier 40mm OD 5 metre at £51.56p free delivery. On trying Google, found Amazon offering 40mm OD 5 metre at £37.88 again with free delivery, or next day for £10.00 extra. 

Strange thing though was that both were from the same supplier, Trallo. I went for the free delivery expecting to receive it this coming Saturday or Monday and it arrived DPD this afternoon!  So well pleased.

Clive