Want to post a reply? You'll need to log in
Federal Electric Stab-Lok MCBs Information
Question

Hi Folks,

I am currently doing an EICR on a large site, with many old Federal Electric boards with the Stab-Lok type MCBs. I think they would have been installed circa 1980.

I have been scouring the internet and these forums in particular for manufacturers details, specifically for type 4 Federal MCBs. There have been consistent figures posted throughout but I would like to get my eyes on a datasheet, or any other information that's floating about, if it was possible that any you may still have that kind of information in your archives!

Apologies if this is a somewhat repetitive subject as I have seen many threads over the years asking the same details. 

Cheers,

Andrew
11 Replies
John Peckham
692 Posts
 Andrew

These truths are written upon the pages of The Great Book of Circuit Protection. Only the righteous qualified ( 2391/2395) persons may seek the keeper of the Great Book. The unqualified, domestic installers and plumbers who falsely seek the Keeper will be cast down in to the fires of hell for all eternity or worse become an estate agent!

Ah John, I was hoping you would take the bait on this. I have observed that you have a history with FE-Stabloks, through my last week or so of poring over these and other forums, dating back long before I achieved my own "righteous" qualifications only a few short years ago.

This Great Book sounds pretty fascinating and my own great collection of downloadable PDFs probably doesn't quite compare. I'm properly considering cobbling together a book of my own.

Now, don't leave me hanging. Please!

John Peckham
692 Posts
I assume you want Zs values for Type 4s? What ratings of MCB do you want?
Yes, it was the Zs values for type 4s. I would be after several, just looking at my notes here I have MCBs rated at 30, 40 60 & 80. 

I have found a few figures online that are probably correct but seem very high, and It would be preferable to have an official datasheet to work off. I like to have a source available if figures are queried by the QS. 
ebee
1150 Posts
"will be cast down in to the fires of hell for all eternity or worse become an estate agent!"

John Peckham, shame on you! Even you on a bad day would not be so cruel surely?   😉
John Peckham
692 Posts
Here we go.

For 0.4s disconnection times in ohms to comply with the 18th Edition.

5A - 4.13     10A- 2.06    15A- 1.38    20A - 1.03    25A - 0.83    30 A - 0.68    40A - 0.51

For 5s disconnection times in ohms to comply with the 18th edition.

30A - 2.08   40A - 1.56    50A - 1.24    60A  - 1.04   80A -  0.78   100A  - 0.62

John Peckham
692 Posts
Ebee

The Keeper of the Great Book of Circuit Protection is not cruel just keeping the secrets for the ones who shall receive the gift of knowledge. 
Zoomup
2736 Posts
John Peckham:
Ebee

The Keeper of the Great Book of Circuit Protection is not cruel just keeping the secrets for the ones who shall receive the gift of knowledge. 

Is somebody reading you the Lord of the Rings at night John, or perhaps next door's medicinal herbal vapours are drifting into your house.

Z.

Thank you John
Handyosprey
13 Posts
I know I am 12 days late, but, are these the dark brown bakelite MCB's ? If so, be careful. I have had a few occasions where they entirely fail to trip under fault and have had some that do not break the contacts when in the off position. They appear to be horrendously unreliable, and the DB's are poorly constructed.

Whilst a lot of information online relates to issues with the American version, The UK made MCB's and DB's are of a very similar construction.

Information on the failures of UK manufactured kit seems to be mostly anecdotal, but from personal experience I would not consider them to be fit for purpose and would not be comfortable issuing a satisfactory EICR for an installation that has this equipment installed.
John Peckham
692 Posts
No they are black with different colour operating handles depending on their BS 3871 Type.

Share:

Want to post a reply? You'll need to log in