This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

Surge Protection in Healthcare Buildings

Morning All

Can anyone point me in the direction of any regulations, requirements or recommendations that suggest the provision of Surge Protection (voltage) is NOT required within Healthcare environments, in particular Hospitals.

HTM 06-01 notes that consideration should be made at the LV intake point, but I cannot say that I have ever read anywhere that it is NOT required.

This has come to light following a site visit and discussions with an 'old' Clerk of Works recently who is adamant that the 'Regs' say it is not required, although no mention was made as to what 'Regs' he was referring to.

Many thanks in advance to anyone who can assist

Adrian B.
  • If B.S. 7671 applies then Chapter 44 covers the issue.

Z.
  • Adrian

Yes SPDs are required and BS 7671 references this.

66ca71916d128ac2fe1a5fac99bda10a-original-image.png

• Thanks Z

I stupidly forget to mention that I have already referenced BS7671 and agree wholeheartedly that it does cover the issue (in my opinion), but was curious if there was another reg. that I may not be aware of that contradicts this.

Regards 

Adrian B.
  • Thanks John

As per my reply to Z, I stupidly did not mention that I had already referred to BS7671, but am curious if there is in fact some reg. that suggests it is not required, as the Clerk of Works was very insistent that it was not.

Regards

Adrian B.
  • Adrian

You also have the requirement in BS EN 62305 for Type 1 SPDs if the building has an LPS installation or is supplied by an overhead line. this is referred to in the Note to Regulation 534.4.1.1.

Perhaps your wise old Clerk of Works could direct you to a written authority to support his view?
  • Many thanks John.  I very much doubt that he can point me in the right direction on this matter, although I have stood corrected in the past by 'old school' Clerks of Works who have known and quoted obscure regs that I have never come across before.