This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

Are Electrical Bidet Installations Illegal in Most UK Bathrooms?

Former Community Member
Former Community Member
I was hearing about bidets being possibly cheaper and more hygenic, and I was looking into installing one. They need a mains supply, and a fused outlet plate. Is it just not possible in this country?
  • I've never heard of a bidet needing an electrical supply (perhaps we're behind the times here up north) - usually just hot & cold water and drainage...

But I don't see any particular problem fitting electrical versions in UK bathrooms - some care would be needed with regard to zoning, but as long as the FCU is 600mm or more from the bath or shower and the device itself is suitable for the zone, it should be possible in most cases.

- Andy.
  • You will not be able to use a normal plug and socket if there is a shower  or bath within 3m of it. However fixed wiring installed in a suitably waterproof way will be no issue. The same rules apply as would for a whirlpool bath, namely that mains needs to be out of reach of the users, RCD protected and so on.

M.
  • I have to connect one on Thursday.
  • Is this the type that washes and dries?
  • Sparkingchip:

I have to connect one on Thursday. 

That's if the Brexit delays have been finally been overcome and it has managed to get into the country from Germany.  I was supposed to connect it last Thursday, it was ordered several months ago and originally another electrician should have connected it around a month ago.

Wash and blow dry.

It's one bit of kit I have not tried out,  I have functionally tested hoists and lifts, but trying out the customers biobidet is a step too far.

• Chris Pearson:

Is this the type that washes and dries?

Aren't they for washing your feet?

Z.

• Zoomup:

Aren't they for washing your feet?

This is a true story which my daughter's late godfather told. He and his wife used to be a sort of tour guide for those who were wealthy in money, but impoverished culturally.

American tourist: Say, Victor, what is this for? Is it for washing babies in?

Victor: No, madam, it's for washing babies out.

• Former Community Member
    0 Former Community Member
    Thank you for your reply mapj1‍! I think working under the same principle, the best option I have found is to extend a new cable from the RCD connection that is already attached to the bidet's wire, run the wire through the walls and have a plug connection in the closest room.
  • Bidets? Bidets? When I werra lad all we had was slippery Izal toilet paper. Then we washed us hands int bucket of watttter.

Bidets? Luxury. Now they ave blinkin electric bidets. luxury.

Z.
  • The first bidet I saw was in a house my dad built for our dentist back in the 1960's when I was still at school, when it was finished my mother and our neighbour went to clean the new house ready for hand over taking me and the other kids along for the day as it was during the school holidays.

The house is in a very upmarket village just south of Birmingham and was architect designed with a central patio courtyard that has all the rooms opening onto it, an upmarket house in a up market location. So it had all the bells and whistles including several bidets in various bathrooms.

I still remember the shrieks as my mother turned one on to demonstrate it to our neighbour, the plumber had connected the cold supply on them directly to the mains and the water was bouncing off the ceiling showering us all in water. The bidets went straight on the snagging list!