Want to post a reply? You'll need to log in
A Good Design but............
Zoomup
2296 Posts
Question
Evenin' All,

I have been working in some holiday chalets today on a chalet park by the sea.

One chalet had a lovely new R.C.B.O. consumer unit in it. Beautifully installed. Very neat.

Another had a new split load consumer unit installed in it. Very nicely installed.

But why were they both a waste of money?

Z.

17 Replies
ebee
1017 Posts
SP RCDs ?

ebee
1017 Posts
All Gas ?
ebee
1017 Posts
12V DC Electrics?
AJJewsbury
2338 Posts
No discrimination with the 30mA RCD in the supply (now required by 708.415.1)?
   - Andy.
Zoomup
2296 Posts
AJJewsbury:
   - Andy.

These are big permanent garden sheds. Does that reg. apply Andy? Caravan/Camping Parks and Similar Locations.

Z.

Was it because they had only lighting no sockets
AJJewsbury
2338 Posts
Zoomup:
AJJewsbury:
   - Andy.

These are big permanent garden sheds. Does that reg. apply Andy? Caravan/Camping Parks and Similar Locations.

Z.

They sounded like "residential park homes" to me... (or at least something that was more like a residential park home than an ordinary building). I haven't seen them of course, so could well be wrong. It was only a guess.
   - Andy.

mapj1
3153 Posts
no spd / AFDD / goldplated chocolate bar fitted.

Or maybe given the sort of jobs you find to post here , maybe no eaerthing....
Zoomup
2296 Posts
Andy has it I believe. All chalets have a site owned up front non time delayed R.C.D. So a single fault will knock out all of a chalet's electrics despite the owner's consumer unit being all R.C.B.O. or split load.

Z.
Zoomup
2296 Posts
AJJewsbury:
Zoomup:
AJJewsbury:
   - Andy.

Z.

They sounded like "residential park homes" to me... (or at least something that was more like a residential park home than an ordinary building). I haven't seen them of course, so could well be wrong. It was only a guess.
   - Andy.

Having just looked up the definition of "residential park home" in B.S. 7671, I would say that the chalets are NOT to be bound by section 708 as they are permanent buildings with no wheels and are NOT a "factory produced relocatable dwelling."  They are more like small permanent bungalows.

Z.

perspicacious
503 Posts
holiday chalets today on a chalet park by the sea.
I would say that the chalets are NOT to be bound by section 708 as they are permanent buildings with no wheels and are NOT a "factory produced relocatable dwelling."  They are more like small permanent bungalows.

What does their planning consent allow? If only say 10 months of the year, to me they are not permanent.

Regards

BOD
Zoomup
2296 Posts
perspicacious:
holiday chalets today on a chalet park by the sea.
I would say that the chalets are NOT to be bound by section 708 as they are permanent buildings with no wheels and are NOT a "factory produced relocatable dwelling."  They are more like small permanent bungalows.

What does their planning consent allow? If only say 10 months of the year, to me they are not permanent.

Regards

BOD

Some have been there unmoved since the late 50s. They are permanent. Their occupation does not enter into the definition. They were built on site and not transported in as a manufactured unit.

EDIT. Add. Two reasons why they can not be defined as relocatable units.

1. Many are old and would fall to pieces.

2. They can not be moved as the road is too small to remove them by lorry. It is just too narrow. They are there for good.

Z.

BOD, I think you are being BAD again. Planning consent has no part in BS7671. What is the regulation reference? You are making a rather tenuous legal comment, as used by losing sides all the time!
mapj1
3153 Posts
If they have been there long enough, and it sounds like they have, planning consent is not required anyway - even if there should have been an application when it was done, so long as there has been no contact from the enforcement authorities in that time.

four year and ten year rules and a certificates of lawfulness  etc.

Anything from 2011 or earlier is certainly in the clear, and quite likely anything from before 2017 if it is residential.

Mike.
perspicacious
503 Posts
BOD, I think you are being BAD again. Planning consent has no part in BS7671. What is the regulation reference? You are making a rather tenuous legal comment, as used by losing sides all the time!

I didn't realise that this was about winning and losing David.............

On the subject of losing, have you lost Reg 115.1? I only have my yellow to hand so the number may have changed in the blue..............

Regards

BOD
gkenyon
1438 Posts
davezawadi (David Stone):

Legislation trumps BS 7671 every time. Legislative provisions trump BS 7671 every time.

Legal definitions are very important ... it's just a pity that the ESQCR doesn't define "caravan" at all, for example.

Chris Pearson
2255 Posts
gkenyon:
Legal definitions are very important ... it's just a pity that the ESQCR doesn't define "caravan" at all, for example.

Yes, but "caravan" is defined elsewhere in legislation.

I mentioned it in this thread.

Share:

Want to post a reply? You'll need to log in