This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

Use of Old Serviceable M.E.M. switches and Switch Fuses.

Evenin' all,

I have access to old unused or used but in good as new serviceable condition, metal clad M.E.M. switches and switch fuses, 15 to 32 Amp mainly.  You know the type, popular during the 60s to 80s. Battle ship grey painted, heavily chromed switch  handles, rewirable of H.R.C. fuse carriers. Some have ceramic innards. Very good contact distance clearance and good positive action upon switching.

Can I use them in new installations thus saving money and recycling materials?

Z.

• They are built like a brick outhouse. That said you mentioned some have rewrirable fuses which will highly likely have asbestos pads behind the fuses and maybe asbestos arc shields.
  • Here is a typical example. No pads at all, even in the rewireable types.

RUST Eaton MEM EXEL 100Amp TPN Fused Switch Disconnector Isolator HRC Fuse | eBay

Z.
  • You really want to get on the list of folk who rent such things to TV and film for period dramas - the wartime to 1960s detective stories and so on seem to pay a small fortune for authentic props - and they do not even get turned on.. (My other half is involved in film acconting, and the numbers are eye-watering.)
  • In my view, yes you can re-use the items in your own home, or in  "mates rates" jobs for friends, family, or good causes.

For an ordinary customer paying the going rate, then it is less clear IMHO. The old but unused ones could perhaps be used, they do not have a shelf life or expiry date, and are still "new" even if held in your stock or your suppliers stock for longer than normal.

The used ones should not in my view be re used for a paying customer, except with the specific agreement of the customer.
  • If this switchgear was, or is, suitable for modern purposes then they would still be manufatured. I suspect that they maybe regarded as an over engineered product and so breaks one of the fundamental rules of modern material design....no built-in planned obsolescence.....

Legh
  • broadgage:

The used ones should not in my view be re used for a paying customer, except with the specific agreement of the customer.

The natural Norfolk man is very careful with his money. He may have a small business in an old wooden shed making double glazed window frames, or be a farmer with many barns, or perhaps be a woodworker with a modest workshop. He will be only too happy to save money if he has a "new" machine installed to have a pre-owned isolator installed next to it. In fact the M.E.M. isolator may be the best quality and newest item in his workplace. I would of course tell the customer about the item.

Z.

• mapj1:

You really want to get on the list of folk who rent such things to TV and film for period dramas - the wartime to 1960s detective stories and so on seem to pay a small fortune for authentic props - and they do not even get turned on.. (My other half is involved in film acconting, and the numbers are eye-watering.)

Mike, I have never owned up to this until now. But I feel it is time to. I am actually a very handsome well known international film star. The thought of being upstaged by a 1970s grey  M.E.M. metal clad isolator is anathema to me. I need to remain the star attraction. I can't have my long legged blond actresses  fantasising about a prop.

Z. 

• Strangely, I find this hard to believe, otherwise, we would have met in another life!
  • One of the developments in switchgear is that it it is still "fingerproof" IP20 when you open it. I think that the old MEM range has accessible incoming terminations?

If so it wouldn't comply with current standards and shouldn't be used in a new installation.
  • Legh Richardson:

If this switchgear was, or is, suitable for modern purposes then they would still be manufatured. I suspect that they maybe regarded as an over engineered product and so breaks one of the fundamental rules of modern material design....no built-in planned obsolescence.....

I don't think that the current version is very different from Zoom's example. If the gear ends up dented scratched and rusty, it has not been looked after.

Built like an outhouse as JP says; or built like a battleship and wouldn't look out of place in one.

I am all for repurposing stuff, but if you charge a fair rate for bringing it up to scratch, you probably don't save the customer anything.