Want to post a reply? You'll need to log in
Question regarding gas hob and socket distance
Ton
1 Posts
Question
Got a gas hob with an isolation switch, the distance between the end of the hob unit and the start of the socket is 200mm. I've read the regulation is 300mm but what does this mean exactly? Is this a legally defined minimum or a recommandation based on safety?
13 Replies
mapj1
2851 Posts
Nothing in BS7671 to define that, but the cooker makers instructions might suggest something.
The real question is can it safely be reached without injury, and will it get splashed or condensation if a pan is boiling, or boiling over , on the ring nearest.
30cm  is often suggested for sinks to sockets as a realistic splashing distance, but really depending on the sort of tap it can be too little or more than is needed.
Regs wise it only needs to be suitable for the  location - does it look damaged in any way ?
If it the answer  is OK to all the above, while its not ideal, it is not dangerous or noncompliant, I;d leave it alone.
Mike
Sparkingchip
3602 Posts
It sounds fine, that is not an exact “legal requirement”.

You say switch, so it sounds like there isn’t a plug with a flex trailing across the worktop from it which is the biggest risk there could be, obviously you don’t want an appliance flex getting burnt on the gas job.

To be honest some kitchens are so small there isn’t much option to install sockets “close” to the sink and hob, but “close” is not actually defined in the Wiring Regulations.
gkenyon
1378 Posts
To the best of my knowledge, this is covered by Regulation Group 528.3 for the wiring system, and Regulation 133.3 in general for the switch itself.

The only "cast in stone" limit I'm aware of is separation 150 mm from gas service (that's in OSG but not in BS 7671).

So, the only question to ask is whether there's adequate separation for the heat and steam/humidity likely to be generated, to comply with Regulation 133.3 and Regulation Group 528.3.

BS 7671 leaves that decision up to the designer, who should as appropriate consult appliance and equipment manufacturer's instructions to inform that decision.

AJJewsbury
2163 Posts
As above, the 300mm limit is only written in guidance, rather than the regulations. As I recall it first appeared in the Electrician's Guide to the Building Regulations but has undoubtedly been copied into other books since.
    - Andy.
gkenyon
1378 Posts
Agreed, I think the 150 mm is more serious, though, and is from the gas standards, but has been put in OSG for guidance.
Chris Pearson
2045 Posts
Never mind the horizontal separation, what about above? For example a cooker hood with fan.
gkenyon
1378 Posts
Isn't that normally more than 300 mm though Chris?
ebee
921 Posts
I do often see the DP red switch (sometimes with a socket outlet on it) right above the cooker hob rings - A result, I guess, of moving the cooker location a bit from its original position.

I`d rather see no switch at all (or even in a daft place like in the cupboard or behind the kick boards!)
Chris Pearson
2045 Posts
gkenyon:

A hood 300 mm above a hob wouldn't leave much room for manoeuvre, but it wouldn't be that odd if there was a salamander. For some reason, there are two FCUs about 200 mm above mine.

AJJewsbury
2163 Posts
gkenyon:

Isn't the 300mm limit usually quoted as 'horizontally'? So a socket for a hood 2m above a hob would still fall foul of that requirement (unless my books are out of date...)
    - Andy.

gkenyon
1378 Posts
AJJewsbury:
gkenyon:

Isn't the 300mm limit usually quoted as 'horizontally'? So a socket for a hood 2m above a hob would still fall foul of that requirement (unless my books are out of date...)
    - Andy.

Best remove and bin my cooker hood then.

AJJewsbury
2163 Posts
gkenyon:
AJJewsbury:
gkenyon:

- Andy.

Best remove and bin my cooker hood then.

Or update the guidance (if it hasn't been already)
   - Andy.

OlympusMons
182 Posts
The NHBC guidance is currently 100mm from the edge of a hob to an electrical accessory https://www.nhbc.co.uk/binaries/content/assets/nhbc/tech-zone/nhbc-standards/tech-guidance/8.1/electrical-fittings-near-cookers-sinks-and-wash-basins-.pdf i believe it used to be 150mm
BS6172:2010 gives a minimum distance to a combustible surface from the edge of a hob as 50mm TB 022 - Installation of previously used domestic gas cooking appliances.docx (hse.gov.uk)
So 200mm seems fine
Note that in the absence of manufacturers instructions the minimum distance above the hob according to BS6172:2010 is 760mm

Share:

Want to post a reply? You'll need to log in