Want to post a reply? You'll need to log in
How to replace DNO cut out fuse during lockdown.
broadgage
400 Posts
Question
My next door neighbours cut out fuse recently operated, due to suspected overload.
A DNO engineer arrived promptly and enquired "do you know how to fit the new fuse ?" Upon being told that yes, the customer did know how to fit the fuse, they posted several new fuses through the letterbox and retreated.

The neighbour asked me to change the fuse, which had in fact blown due to a fault (screw through submain cable to outbuilding)

6 Replies
AJJewsbury
2013 Posts
Seems a bit odd to me - trusting 'ordinary persons' to replace DNO fuses feels to be somewhat higher on the risk scale than going inside with proper precautions (distancing & PPE). Did the leave any seals too?

- Andy.
broadgage
400 Posts
I was a bit surprised, but suspect that thecustomer may be known to the DNO as they have a history of blowing cut out fuses. An upgraded supply is due "soon" From 60 amp split phase to 150 amp 3 phase.
Three new poles have appeared, and an odd looking lattice steel construction.

No seals supplied.
Sparkingchip
3370 Posts
Perhaps the DNO guy knew who your neighbours neighbour is 😉
Zoomup
1778 Posts
U.K.P.N. around here is working normally and is fitting new P.M.E. earth terminals in homes as usual.

Z.
whjohnson
352 Posts
I wish that they were as obliging as that around here. That said, I carry a range of cut-out fuses on a JIC basis - can't rely on a +-4 hour visit window when the power is off can you?
Zoomup
1778 Posts
Same here. I also carry a range of cartridge fuses for main cut outs.

Z.

Share:

Want to post a reply? You'll need to log in