Want to post a reply? You'll need to log in
Kettles
Alex13
24 Posts
Question
OK 2nd question modern kettles with base power cord system instead of the older lead system but instead the docking system do I test the base separately or test them together as one itemModern kettle base
16 Replies
Stoneworld
4 Posts
both together and stick two labels and two results.

mapj1
2663 Posts
yes - but do actually look at them 'open' as well - damage to the base connectors is quite possible especially if it has got wet.
Be aware that in many designs there are metal bits of the jug part that are  not earthed, by design,  only the element is, so you  may need to do a hybrid test, of either continuity from jug to CPC, or isolation at 500V  from jug to CPC, depending.
Alex13
24 Posts
mapj1:
yes - but do actually look at them 'open' as well - damage to the base connectors is quite possible especially if it has got wet.
Be aware that in many designs there are metal bits of the jug part that are  not earthed, by design,  only the element is, so you  may need to do a hybrid test, of either continuity from jug to CPC, or isolation at 500V  from jug to CPC, depending.

Yes and as part of my visual inspection this is thoroughly checked before proceeding to complete a pat test via the testing equipment but yes just needed clarification to make sure I was correct to proceed as I thought as trying to make or get adapter(s) to fit all or nearly all different cordless kettle base types would be difficult, expensive and bit ott at least at this time that may change depending on rules changeing or designs being made standard across all manufacturers 

mapj1
2663 Posts
Indeed, and unless you sell kettles and bases separated, a bit pointless.
Actually the physical  part of any inspection is by far the most useful, after all things can pass on the meter with big holes in the sides and damaged cables and all sorts.
If you have to then missing out a meter test, that is far less serious then missing the human senses one.... (eyes and  feel, for splits in cables and cases and so on,  and maybe a sniff for the smell of burning from motors are the key ones here, not taste so much..)

regards Mike.
Alex13
24 Posts
mapj1:
Indeed, and unless you sell kettles and bases separated, a bit pointless.
Actually the physical  part of any inspection is by far the most useful, after all things can pass on the meter with big holes in the sides and damaged cables and all sorts.
If you have to then missing out a meter test, that is far less serious then missing the human senses one.... (eyes and  feel, for splits in cables and cases and so on,  and maybe a sniff for the smell of burning from motors are the key ones here, not taste so much..)

regards Mike.

Precisely the bane of all quality pat test engineers is the sticker jockie who simply plugs things into the tester runs the test ticks the boxes the slaps a sticker on with no proper inspection to actually make sure the item is in a safe condition an appropriate for how and where its used, I have often used a smell test to check for signs of failure or wear that cant be seen or felt during a visual inspection and taste is a great one for undamaged bakelite check (watching out for asbestos of course, thank you David tenant as the Doctor in doctor who lol) 

Sparkingchip
3370 Posts
As part of my ongoing PAT tester testing, I test my own kettle, twice as I have two PAT testers.

I actually failed my own kettle on one occasion whilst testing my testers!

I test them as a pair coupled together, otherwise how do you know they are connecting correctly?
Alex13
24 Posts
Sparkingchip:
As part of my ongoing PAT tester testing, I test my own kettle, twice as I have two PAT testers.

I actually failed my own kettle on one occasion whilst testing my testers!

I test them as a pair coupled together, otherwise how do you know they are connecting correctly?

Of course but you test any detachable power cord separately then once passed you can use it to test the matching appliance 

Sparkingchip
3370 Posts
But it’s not a detachable lead!

It is the base of a “cordless kettle”.
Alex13
24 Posts
Sparkingchip:
But it’s not a detachable lead!

It is the base of a “cordless kettle”.

Yes but the detachable lead predates the cordless base and is in fact still used in some types of catering kettles (not the urn type) 

Sparkingchip
3370 Posts
If you want to be particularly pedantic, the connection is part of a “kettle control unit”.

https://www.ransomspares.co.uk/parts/kettles/bosch/control-unit/525219.htm
Alex13
24 Posts
Sparkingchip:
If you want to be particularly pedantic, the connection is part of a “kettle control unit”.

https://www.ransomspares.co.uk/parts/kettles/bosch/control-unit/525219.htm

Wow I'm amazed that's available as a spare part yet not as a complete base pre wired and ready to go and that price flip me you can buy a kettle for less or not much more for a brand kettle that would fit 

Sparkingchip
3370 Posts
I was handed some hair straighteners to repair and said it would be better to replace them, then I was told how much they cost and replaced the flex.
Alex13
24 Posts
Sparkingchip:
https://www.selfridges.com/GB/en/cat/bugatti-vera-stainless-steel-kettle-1-7l

Now that price is taking the p******* for a kettle and I thought £50 for a Brussel bobs kettle was extreme given my sainsburys basics kettle cost me under £5 new back when I got my first home 12 years ago

Chris Pearson
1887 Posts
We have one of these. Let's be honest, the elements didn't last that long in those old-fashioned kettles, perhaps in part due to hard water. Every "modern" kettle which we have had has developed a leak around the window. Why do you need one - we always coped without them. 🤨 This one has remained leak-free for a few years. It boils a cuppa or two quite swiftly, so we are perfectly happy with it.
Sparkingchip
3370 Posts
Some years ago I fitted a kitchen and the lady of the house passed comment that they would need a new kettle.

Later that day her husband came home and I could hear him being cussed despite being in a different room, his wife came into the kitchen carrying the new Porsche kettle he had returned home with, you can guess the rest of the story.

Mind you, it made a good cup of tea!

Share:

Want to post a reply? You'll need to log in