This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

Conservation v restoration?

Now you are going to think that I am completely off my trolley! ?

I understand that horologists love to debate the merits of conservation against restoration. The same goes to a lesser extent in the old car world.

Mention of installations to the 15th made me think. Have we really got to update all the time? Poor workmanship to the 18th is almost certainly worse than good workmanship to the 15th. The conservation wallahs at the town council would go spare if I put in plastic windows even though they would save (a lot of) energy. So is there merit in conserving older installations as they are so that we have not destroyed the past and those who come later can see things as they were?

As for safety, I am quite happy pootling around in my 90 year old Alvis with no seatbelts, air bags, collapsible steering column, ABS, crumple zones, etc.
  • It rather depends what is being conserved - they may not like plastic windows, but if the preserved town hall was subsiding they would probably accept modern underpinning methods to save it.

Similarly restorers of old radio and TV equipment go to varying lengths - some will hand build waxed paper capacitors and so forth, while others prefer to fit a modern  polypropylene capacitor inside the jacket of the old one. But no one rebuilds anything with the polychlorinated oils of yesteryear.

I suspect that your old car may run on new oil, and asbestos free brake pads.

In a similar way we may like gleaming brass lamp holders, but not the original rubber covered flex and lack of earthing.  To be done well a case-by-case understanding of how the system used to work, what the dangers are of retaining it, and what the alternatives are, all need to be agreed. One for a bit of engineering judgement, rather than the usual hammer the screws in and run away merchants. 

Also we do not always want to preserve very much, as the build quality from some periods were better than others. One or two houses representative of the Victorian slums is quite enough, the rest can be demolished or re-furbished, nor do we all want a 1970s car I suspect...