This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

New gas meter installed

I thought some of you might find this interesting. For reference, its TN-S and the intake is to the left, water comes in on the right and the earth bond doesn't go any further.

the new gas meter was fitted today and left like this

Inked20201021_160043_LI.jpg
  • Oooh, Earthed equipotential bonding requires correct installation. I would have thought that this is a pretty basic setup

Legh
  • Odd. I guess the original was looped on the gas service pipe, then to consumer pipe and then to water, an all in one Gas/water.

They must have left in a hurry [NHS App started alerting!!] or the fitter had some kind of objection to connections being on the service pipe and was just plain nuts.
  • The gas meter guy has not attached the warning notice saying it needs a main protective bond to be connected, other than that the meter guy probably has not done anything wrong, has the incoming supply pipework been replaced, if so who by?

Andy B.
  • Was the pipe clamp installed on the flexible tail?
  • It certainly a cross bond going knowhere. I think there may have also been a CCU change and reposition or just removal, possibly yet to be replaced?.

Legh
  • Agree with above, new supply pipework, didn't reconnect the bonding after fitting. 

Bit worried that i can't see an emergency control valve on the supply side, perhaps situated out of shot above.

Also a bit worried it looks like a medium pressure governor, for LPG, and it looks like it is in a basement. Therefore nowhere for any escaping LPG to disperse, heavier than air.
  • They should not really have connected the pipe clamp up the incoming pipe,  but should have attached a warning label telling the customer to get out sorted out.
  • but they should have just disconnected the strap of the clamp from the pipe, not disconnected the terminals.

They should also have used a temporary earth strap while the meter was disconnected, like a car jump lead
  • Its only wiring regs, (non mandatory) but I am sure its in hand. Sadly the fashion these days. take photo, do nothing, post on various forums.  Anyway we were not there.

Regards, UKPNZap
  • Humm I wonder. Looks almost commercial/industrial perhaps even a secondary meter installation, so perhaps we're not looking at the primary gas intake position for the building. Any possibility that there is main bonding elsewhere or even that the gas comes out of the ground in plastic?

- Andy.