This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

CE mark after Brexit

If spotting dodgy imports of dangerous light fittings etc was not already hard to do, and quite contentious, it seems that after Christmas, as well as CE documentation, we may be expecting to find UKCA or maybe UK(NI) marks depending where you live, as of course anything coming in from Europe will now count as an import, and the person bringing or mail ordering it into the UK will become responsible for the import paperwork.

link    I predict getting spare parts for non UK made equipment via a legitimate route may get a bit harder than it currently is.
  • Yes, it will also affect things like ATEX approvals as well.
  • Well I was against Brexit anyway, even before Covid. That does not imply I was anymore than 70% pro EU though as I was definately at at least a good 30% anti EU.

Double edged sword either way remain or go.

Good question Mapj1, personally I blame a lot on that damn fleabay etc Damn Yanks always wanting to sell sell sell above all else (OK they got Armstrong on the Moon and gave us a lot of good Tech, I`ll admit that)
  • The CE mark has always been a problem to everyone. I had a case some years ago where a company had to replace ALL its compressed air equipment because it didn't have a CE mark (it was older than the CE mark, but otherwise fine). The pressure vessel inspector couldn't fault anything except the lack of the mark, but the insurer said it was essential! Good riddance I say, particularly as it apparently means China export, and I try to avoid many of those.
  • And someone, somewhere, is probably still using that equipment.

Being over zealous is a British infliction.
  • How’s this one?

UKCA?
  • Problem is Dave, it is not good riddance, but actually an addition - at least for now, all the UKCA approvals include all the CE requirements, as well as presumably more of our own invention.

Not that the far eastern clone makers will care,  one more mark to copy, and stamp on everything.

As The RAPEX data base shows there is plenty of non-compliant stuff out there.
  • Ridiculous farce, this whole brexit thing. A few people get to wave a flag (probably the wrong one, or upside down)... and the rest of us deal with the fallout.  No the EU isn't perfect but... UGH, it's less imperfect than this.
  • We managed before the eu and we'll manage again - want a CE mark for you panel which is going to Germany? I know of one outfit who get all their panels CE marked by a firm in Gibralter for peanuts. The CE regime is more corrupt than the mafia.

Don't worry, our faithful kite mark will make a return, along with the dropping of the -EN from the BS numbers.

A very welcome return to sanity.
  • LOL.

I have been toying with the idea of buying myself a reasonably inexpensive "silent" compressor to use at home in my garage, the stocks in the UK are virtually nil, but the one I was thinking of getting is available for delivery from Rimini in Italy. This is the way life is at the moment with internet orders being delivered to the UK from all over Europe and being covered by one CE mark.

Andy B.
  • whjohnson:

We managed before the eu and we'll manage again - want a CE mark for you panel which is going to Germany? I know of one outfit who get all their panels CE marked by a firm in Gibralter for peanuts. The CE regime is more corrupt than the mafia.

Don't worry, our faithful kite mark will make a return, along with the dropping of the -EN from the BS numbers.

A very welcome return to sanity.

Did you sign up to be able to use the kite mark as an electrician when you had the opportunity to join the most expensive Part P scheme of them all?

Andy B.