This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

Foundation Earthing AMD 2

AMD 2 says:

542.1.2.202 For new premises constructed upon foundations, each building in which there is an installation using the protective measure of automatic disconnection of supply shall be provided with one of the following:

(i)         a concrete-embedded foundation earth electrode in accordance with Annex A542 or

(ii)         a soil-embedded ring earth electrode in accordance with Annex A542 or

(iii)         an equivalent earth electrode such as that afforded by metalwork of a steel framed building embedded in concrete foundations in contact with soil.

A value of resistance to Earth not exceeding 20 ohms shall be provided by the earth electrode, or collectively where the electrodes of two or more buildings are connected together.

The earth electrode shall be connected to the main earthing terminal of the installation by a main protective bonding conductor of that installation. For the purpose of this requirement, for an installation in a multiple premises building, the protective conductor of the service line or distribution circuit supplying that installation shall be deemed to be the main protective bonding conductor.

In dwellings, for outbuildings such as detached garages and sheds, an earth electrode in accordance with (i), (ii) or

(iii) need not be provided.

Which raises a few questions in my mind...

1. In practice, how many electricians are involved with the design & construction of foundations (or how many groundwork engineers are likely to be familiar with the contents of BS 7671) - i.e. what are the chances of such a facility having been correctly installed by the time an electrician turns up on site? What's the electrician supposed to do if such a facility hasn't been constructed, or (worse) has, but doesn't meet the 20Ω requirement? I might suspect that demanding that the foundations of a near-complete brand new buildings are ripped up and re-done, or trenching for an extra electrode underneath all the newly installed services and landscaping isn't going to go down well (even if there is space). Will the electrician be unable to deliver a BS 7671 compliant installation? It's probably fine on large scale projects where there's a team of architects and engineers double checking every requirement before everything is built, but a typical small scale private domestic build, with a local builder who likes doing things in a tried and trusted manner, I foresee problems.

• What the extra cost of all this likely to be? I gather that they go down this route in much of Southern Europe partly because seismic regulations often demand steel re-inforcment of concrete foundations (so the extra metal is there anyway), they need a local electrode as everything's TT and dry soil conditions mean a simple rod won't be sufficient. UK conditions tend to be different - a simple rod is usually fine for TT, with a damp climate that tends to corrode steel below ground unless very carefully constructed and no seismic requirements, foundations on everything other than very poor ground are usually just plain concrete - and even where reinforced rafts or ring beams are specified, they'll usually be tied with steel wire rather than welded - which A542 prohibits.

• What's this 20Ω limit all about anyway? It's far too high to be useful in a broken PEN situation and probably overkill for TT. It aligns with BS 7430's requirement for earthing of sources (e.g. generators) but in that it seems that value was always a bit arbitrary anyway (if it's fine for a 1MVA transformer, do we really need the same for a 16A SSEG?)

• Are there any potential harmful effects due to "exporting" fault voltages to the ground outside the building. Modern buildings with all plastic services probably contain hazardous voltages reasonably well within their walls (Class 1 outside lights and EV charging notwithstanding). With a foundation electrode is it possible that they very soil outside the building might become hazardous (e,g. during a broken PEN event) and contact with that at the same time with more remote soil (e.g. via metallic hand rails or fencing) could introduce a hazard that would otherwise not be there?

• If, in many cases, using steel reinforcement isn't going to happen and so we'd end up adding a loop of several tens of metres of reasonably chunky copper wire or tape - from an overall point of view wouldn't we be better using a similar amount money and material to upgrade the DNO system to TN-S instead?

- Andy.
  • So, what is the minimum length of footings required?

Presumably this applies to an extension on a house, so if a 3 x3 metre extension has 9 linear metres of concrete foundations, how easily achievable is the 20 ohms requirement?

Andy B.
  • And how far away from the external walls does the hot tub need to be?

Andy B.
  • To work this needs to be translated into a step by step process a general  builder can follow, like bend up a lenth of rebar so it pokes out near the place the services will come in. Or in practice, we will be burying wires and hammering in electrodes after the fact to try to get down to the 20 ohms where it has been forgotten.

Actually with my radio engineering hat on I can say that cement electrodes where the cement has been adulterated with maronite or similar can be very effective - you can get a jolly good  low inductance 'pad' contact,and you do  not need much metal to get an electrical hook into it. However, this assumes there is oversite concrete in intimate contact with the ground, and in a domestic property , that is not always the case- in a modern buildingg with insulated floor,  the ground may be made up with rubble and scalpings, blinded with sand, then covered with a plastic DPC, and insulation slabs, and only then is cement poured. Footings, round here at least, (gravelly ground, not good for earth rods either) they tend to be a trench perhaps a foot or so wide and 1m deep. Anything much larger than a 3 by 3m conservatory will have enough periphery to get to a fraction of the resistance of having an array of 4 parallel rods one  in each corner, so it should be just about OK. However, it does need to be added to the 'robust details' type building advice, or it will not happen. JPEL 64 should be liaising with the likes of BRE and RICS, and the authors of the building regs if they want this to happen.
  • I worked on a housing development in Pershore, at one end of the site the houses were built over two metres above existing ground level, then the ground level was raised by the two metres because once in a hundred years the River Avon will nearly reach that level when it floods. So I was surprised that the ground workers dug a hole about five metres deep where a detached house was to be built, there had been a pond there and the house was built on five metres of compacted stone.

Where I am Worcester our house is on the second alluvial plain of the River Severn, we are over sand and gravel, with quarries above and below us in the river valley.

It would be a big assumption that low earth resistance readings will always come easily. I had a chat with some DNO guys and one said he was doing their training course and suddenly the rod he was driving with a jack hammer started to go in really easily, the instructor tapped him on the shoulder and pointed behind him, the rod had turned around in the ground and was coming back out behind him. This requirement seems to be moving into the realms of the engineering that the DNO is expected to do rather than jobbing electricians.

Andy B.

• However, it does need to be added to the 'robust details' type building advice, or it will not happen. JPEL 64 should be liaising with the likes of BRE and RICS, and the authors of the building regs if they want this to happen.

Agreed. If we did conclude that foundation earthing was a good idea then surely a proper 'standards' approach would be to to get the requirement written into the standard for foundations (I'm sure there must be one (or more) - BS 8004 and BS EN 1992 series look like possible candidates) and then for BS 7671 just to say something like 'where such a facility has been provided, it should be main bonded as if it were any other extraneous-conductive-part'. (Mind you I thought that BS EN 61439 was the proper place for the fire perform of consumer units rather than BS 7671, so what do I know)

So, what is the minimum length of footings required?

It'll depend on the soil conditions. I saw some "beach homes" the other week down in the South East - which had built on what was basically reclaimed shingle beach. I'd bet you could have a 100m of footing on that and still not get 20Ω.

Perhaps similar problems on normal soils for small independent buildings with only a few metres of outside wall - say a kiosk.

Soil conditions will always be a large unknown variable - so being able to guarantee a result from a design would be difficult to impossible. Rather than insisting on a particular value it might be more practical to just accept whatever it turns out to be (other than for sole means of earthing for TT installations).

Presumably this applies to an extension on a house, so if a 3 x3 metre extension has 9 linear metres of concrete foundations, how easily achievable is the 20 ohms requirement?

It does say 'for new premises' - so hopefully we wouldn't cover additions or alterations to any existing premises.

- Andy.
  • I agree soil types are incredibly variable, and there is not a lot of point in trying for  a 20 ohm resistance in a semi insulating ground, equally in clay parts of Essex you can get 20 ohms of Ze from a sawn off half rod - yes I was shocked as well, I am used to about 200 ohms from a full  4'  rod -  much  less than that and I wonder if I have hit near a pipeline or something.

• we're on sandy soil on a hill.  It takes about 16ft depth of rods to get 200 ohms so I'm not sure that even large concrete foundations would achieve the 20 ohm target.
  • On the alluvial plains of the River Severn above me by Stourport-on-Severn is Hartlebury Common a heath, I was told some years ago that a couple of electricians put a rod in over 45 feet deep to get an acceptable reading for TT on the bottom end where the power station used to be.

What I am not getting is what it is supposed to achieve?

Andy Betteridge
  • Is it earthing the installation or the DNO network?
  • It probably achieves very little to nothing but matches some European documents. I have no idea why that matters at all, particularly as it adds cost and inconvenience to everyone.