This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

Cutting seals

Having seen on various social media platforms I'm seeing more and more sparks indicating that their local DNO has authosied them to remove fuses in order to safely isolate an installation, can anyone advise how this is possible. Or where to start enquiring if they have been able obtain such permission
  • If you are in the SSE area, it is formalised that scheme members (Niciec  NAPIT etc) can be issued with temp seals  for single phase work up to 100A.  process here and this scheme has been working very well for some time. I think they prefer this and retaining a degree of control to the random actions of the seal fairy.

As far as I know all UK DNOs allow the representatives of the various suppliers and metering companies to remove the main fuse without requiring advance permission, for meter swaps etc.
  • It seems times have changed... I used to pull the lead seal off and then put it back on again... or say... 'it wasn't me!.

Good to know that you can now use these temp seals!!
  • Scheme registered electricians can cut a seal in an emergency as I recollect - but to remove for routine work requires registration with them, then they issue up to 10 numbered sticky, paper seals; to be signed and dated with company name. When more seals are required, they require a list of addresses where seals have been used before they issue any more. They do follow up and reseal using their proper seals. 

Jaymack
  • Never seen a seal on a job where a consumer unit has to be changed and an isolator fitted at the same time. They always seem to be missing.

By the way, Western Power no longer allow HASTE to do their isolator fits, rather they now charge £280 to come out and fit one themselves. I find that the customer prefers an isolator to be priced in with the cu change, which in relailty only adds another fifteen quid or so.

Quite how they can come up with a figure of nearly £300 to take 10 minutes to fit a ten quid item escapes me completely.