This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

New build fuseboard

Hi guys a couple of small questions i wondered if you would be able to help me out with.

1 In a new build would anyone have a issue with a fuseboard being in a upstairs cupboard ? as long as its still 1350/1450mm off the ground ?

2 I know main tails are meant to be max 3meters, if this was pushed to say 3.8 / 4 meters is this a major issue ?

Thank you for anyone taking the time to help and reply
  • Former Community Member
    0 Former Community Member
    You might get some dirty looks from the Dno / meter installer if the tails are 4m long
  • They would not be visible
  • goldenboy1818:

They would not be visible

Would they need RCD protection?

A switched fuse in the meter cupboard downstairs, or lower down in the upstairs cupboard might help.

• Normally tails wouldnt have RCD Protection

I guess i could fit a 100amp switch fuse low down in the cupboard the up to the board a meter higher...seems a bit overkill though ??
  • goldenboy1818:

Normally tails wouldnt have RCD Protection

True, because they are usually surface mounted or in trunking. I asked because you said they wouldn't be visible, how will they be installed?
  • goldenboy1818:

Hi guys a couple of small questions i wondered if you would be able to help me out with.

1 In a new build would anyone have a issue with a fuseboard being in a upstairs cupboard ? as long as its still 1350/1450mm off the ground ?

2 I know main tails are meant to be max 3meters, if this was pushed to say 3.8 / 4 meters is this a major issue ?

Thank you for anyone taking the time to help and reply

Main switch and Breakers need to be between 1350-1450. Most DNOs say 2 metres so your better putting in a switch fuse as it might well cause problems later. 

• They will be run up in a void and a touch in the wall but deeper than 50mm
  • goldenboy1818:

They will be run up in a void and a touch in the wall but deeper than 50mm 

So not exposed to touch then ?

• Electrically it will be fine, but DNOs do not like cables they cannot see but are only protected by their fuse. A switch fuse beside the meter, even if it is the same fuse rating as the company fuse, is a point of demarcation, that says, beyond this point is the installation. It also allows you to switch to SWA or any other cable if you were to have issues about cable routing, and having a local point of isolation makes working on the consumer unit easier, rather safer than relying on the CU main switch especially if access to the cupboard is a bit tight.
  • They have already fitted a isolator (not fused) and room in the white box is very tight now