This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

Very Odd Domestic consumer unit label

This could be the end of week quiz with a difference.....I have not got a clue on the answer.

This label was stuck on the front of a Domestic Consumer Unit .  The Consumer Unit was manufactured 1999 . It has a metal frame but a plastic cover, as per normal, standard Hager things at that time. The fronts were plastic for domestic purpose aesthetics I presume.

The questions are three fold
  1. Why are there boxes on the label to be ticked?

• Why is the containment one ticked?

• Is this a new tick box approach to Periodic Inspection?

*  edited for naughtiness

a48118b628b4686641b42726c65322b0-huge-containment.png

• It looks like it is one of the versions of the labels produced on which you can record if there are fire clips in plastic minitrunking to secure the cables within them and there are not any cables that will prematurely collapse if there is a fire.

It’s as clear as mud.

Andy B.
  • Everything is buried in the fabric of the building as installed circa 2000.
  • I think that Sparkingchip's reasoning (today ? ) is sound.

I suppose that you'd have to ask NAPIT what it was (may be still is) about. Otherwise, quite why there is a tick-box for just that specific purpose will probably remain a mystery.
  • Well they are still selling them here  as EICR labels at £54 for 250 sticky labels with your name on.
  • About 20p each then, and completely useless! Good marketing of rubbish? They should explain what they mean on the tin (label)!
  • That’s not actually a NAPIT branded product is it? Merely a label with their logo on it produced by third party.
  • I think the reasoning was that if there is a label to say the cables are secure you don't need to open up all the minitrunking to check.
  • Funnily enough I've just come across one of those labels on a plastic CU - but with the 'No' box ticked for 'Containment to Amendment 3' ... the odd thing was that the CU was in a toilet block on a camp site which is as far as I can tell not a domestic (household) premises and so I'm wondering what the non-compliance was thought to be.

It also struck me as a bit amateur to say Amendment 3 without saying which version of BS 7671 was being amended ... especially as we're currently only on AMD 1.

All in all the phase 'stop that! ...  it's silly' comes to mind.

- Andy.

• Mike's info that they are still available led me to that site. They also advertise one with ECA logo on it.

Tbf , my first instinct is that it most likely related to the containment of the CU.  I will go with "silly" as it is never a good idea to have stuff on a Periodic Label that gives the impression it has " passed" something or other, like a PAT label.
  • If you want to have a little smile on your face this Saturday evening read One of JPs posts from the old forum.

Andy Betteridge