2675 Posts
Question
15 Replies
24Hour
4 Posts
what am i missing ?
Sparkingchip
2675 Posts
That our Tesco delivery just arrived and I have to take my Dad his food for the next week.

Have a look at the DNO supply cable.
24Hour
4 Posts
reminds me , i must upgrade my 2 core speaker wire to by-wire when i get 10 mins .
Sparkingchip
2675 Posts
Name that cable 
Sparkingchip
2675 Posts
Farmboy:

So it's a 100A supply, but what size are those supply conductors, and are they rubber?

F

Cable not cables, it's twin.

Typiod
59 Posts
Hard to tell from the photo but it could be ABC service drop cable if it is XLPE covered.
broadgage
349 Posts
Sparkingchip:
Name that cable 

Cab tyre sheathed ?  A variety of tough rubber cable sheathing that allegedly used a similar grade of rubber to that used in the manufacture of tires for London taxi cabs.
Used to be specified in for damp or corrosive places, or when an "all insulated" installation was desired which ruled out steel conduit or lead covered cables.

UKPN
127 Posts
It is not a 100 amp supply, it is a  cut out that can take a 100 amp fuse. Furthermore, as the cables from the meter are 16mmsq, we are looking at a 60 amp max service. 

Regards, UKPN.⚡

Proud to be a member of the countries largest DNO, delivering electricity to over 25% of the population. Our service available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week 365 days a year.  
Sparkingchip
2675 Posts
broadgage:
Sparkingchip:
Name that cable 

Cab tyre sheathed ?  A variety of tough rubber cable sheathing that allegedly used a similar grade of rubber to that used in the manufacture of tires for London taxi cabs.
Used to be specified in for damp or corrosive places, or when an "all insulated" installation was desired which ruled out steel conduit or lead covered cables.

I only know because it’s on the side of the cable, Callender London England Nonazo Regd.

I did an internet search and there’s a reference to it being manufactured before 1948, so it’s possibly over seventy years old and I think it was referred to as Cab Tyre cable.

It runs up clipped to the back of the door frame in the cupboard under the stairs and through the ceiling then between the first floor joists into the neighbouring house. I had already decided it has to go when I found the DNO are one step in front of me, outside of the house there’s a new supply cable into a surface mounted meter box with a new 80 amp head.

But when I phoned them to ask how to arrange to get the meter moved I was told the DNO don’t have a record of a new supply having been installed, so we have no idea of how it came to be there or when it was installed. Then it started getting complicated, I found the Mpan this afternoon for both this house and the one I think the cable comes from, but getting the meter moved and the old cable disconnected could involve the DNO and two suppliers. So I  plan to do the internal alterations and then try sorting the meter move out in three weeks time when there will be new tenants who may possibly want to change suppliers, so we can then ask the new supplier to organise it which may take another three weeks, so this looks like it will be at least a six week project.

Andy B

Sparkingchip
2675 Posts
One of the other forum members is stripping out lead twin cable with core tape declaring: British Insulated Callenders Cables Ltd Helsby and Leigh. 

Does this live DNO distribution cable trump it?

Sparkingchip
2675 Posts
broadgage:

Still an issue,  some things never change. 

whjohnson
302 Posts
Dog whistle!
Can we not just get used to the fact that the DNOs will find, via their immense financial and political clout, that they will continue to find every way possible to negate their responsibilities for the costs associated with requisite continuous upgrades and improvements for their low voltage networks, and instead, lobby the likes of BEAMA, JPEL and CENLEC to enact wiring regulation requirements upon us via BS7671 in order to compensate for their obvious shortcomings.
Their shareholders of course, will be endlessly happy.
Let us have a look at progress thus far.
Cmin - introduced because they cannot stabilize the voltages at their end, so we have to compensate via BS7671 by installing larger than necessary cables.
Surge protection - again, they refuse to spend money upon stabilizing their supplies and making them robust enough to withstand and network surges at the origins.
The latest snake oil - not to be entirely blamed upon the suppliers but more of a hell of a expensive and dubious solution to a problem which does not exist in reality.

Time to suck it up - they are getting away with it and I have no idea what we can do to counter this nonsense.
perspicacious
339 Posts
One of the other forum members is stripping out lead twin cable with core tape declaring: British Insulated Callenders Cables Ltd Helsby and Leigh. 
Does this live DNO distribution cable trump it?

Quite possibly Andy as BICC was formed on 31 May 1945. There is a nameplate at the mansion house incomer declaring installation by Penny and Porter of IIRC Norfolk dated 1949.

Whilst my stripped out cable comes from the detached (very) stable block, I believe Penny and Porter adopted some of the even earlier cable installation from 1932 evidenced by a newspaper page scrumpled up behind some re-plastering associated with the installation of wall lights (some work habits never change!) and finding a wooden drum left in an attic void with a quality control date stamp of 1932.

From this earlier 1932 install I've salvaged some lead cable that has just CALLENDER LONDON ENGLAND 250 VOLT MONAZO (REGD) which despite being older, actually has tinned earth conductor sandwiched between the rubber cores but only in fortuitous contact with the lead sheath when formed round bends.

Now I'm left with what to do with a lot of lengths of lead cable that had not been clipped but laid in a roof void which would pass as being new as I carefully wound back into coils............ Anyone doing some retro work?!!!!!!

Regards

BOD
UKPN
127 Posts
Ah yes, one of the great Electricity Boards service heads, Henley, plastic, and that twin cable, overhead most likely, 70amp, last for years, unless one of the amateur "electricians" (many on this forum, as we have seen this week) interfere with it.

Regards, UKPN.⚡

Share:

Want to post a reply? You'll need to log in