This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

Bill Talisman main switch

Can anyone point me in the direction of a data sheet and BS number?

f014a2e2cc8752caa85df614922f7128-huge-20200715_100530.jpg

• f3cddf998c22e2d4becac4805239d6df-original-20200715_100445.jpg
  • ae015174cd1b7c34fdff11cdb4510bde-original-20200715_093830.jpg
  • I tried "phone a friend" and he said Google BS symbols to see what the "drawbridge and X" symbol indicates it is, but I have not had much luck doing so.

Does the "drawbridge and X" symbol indicate it is a circuit breaker? If so I presume it is a single pole 80-amp circuit breaker that throws the attached interlinked switch in the neutral.

There is not any provision to lock it off, so again I presume, it's not an isolator. There are two intake rooms with one of these panels either side of the central intake and I think the T's on the front of the devices stands for Talisman, there are some other devices that say Bill on them

Andy Betteridge
  • enter image description here
  • https://electronics.stackexchange.com/questions/195027/difference-between-disconnector-circuit-breaker-and-load-break-switch
  • Bill/MEM TLG801 80-amp MCCB IEC60947-3 with neutral switching.

These landlords EICRs are fun! At least I have already two to do in the same building, so the research time can be split between them.

Andy B.
  • I could probably found that out by removing the steel front cover, but not unsurprisingly I will make not dismantling the intake equipment a limitation!

Andy B.
  • I think those Australian symbols look slightly different to the ones I'm used to - but the basics look the same - i.e. a "bar" across the fixed contact indicate an isolation gap when open and the "x" overcurrent protection - so yes a simple CB. As yours symbol seems only to show a single switching element I would suspect the main MCCB part doesn't switch N (I can't see any N terminals on the one you linked to either, despite the link title).

The plain unit to the left of each MCCB - is that just a blank or might it be an add-on contact for N? Is the side label you show from the N block (if that's what it is) or from the main MCCB?

Most standards seem to require things that they apply to be marked with their standard number - so I suspect this would be most easily solved by removing the cover....(but 60947 sounds entirely plausible).

I don't think there's any general requirement for an isolator to have an in-built means of locking-off - it may need some add-on gadget or rely on locking the overall case or just not be intended for isolating remote items.

- Andy.
  • The blue blank plate “pops off” and there is a switch mechanism in the neutral side.

Considering the distribution cable goes up four storeys from the cellar then to the other end of the building, a run of about 80 metres, and I was swapping out the main switch in the consumer unit for a 30 mA RCD to avoid a C2 and C3’s on the report, being able to lock it off easily would be an major advantage.

My plan when I got there was to take a fuse out and put it in my pocket, but there wasn’t one to take out.

Andy B.
  • Have you tried contacting MEM / Eaton ? - I think that this company was 'swallowed' by Eaton.

Regards

Mike