This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

Landlord electrical safety certificate

Hi all, my father in law has a rental property that was completely rewired and with new split load CU five years ago. The installation is now due an inspection. Will the fact that the CU is plastic constitute a "fail"?

• I'd give it a C3, but whether that constitutes a fail is a moot point.
  • No,it is not a fail. C3 seems OK to me too, however, all the terminals should be checked fully for tightness. Remember that was the original problem!
  • Where is it located?
  • Right, thanks guys.

Fore warned is fore armed an' all that, I'm just anticipating an overreaction by some zealous sparky!

• Sparkingchip:

Where is it located?

You've guessed it, under the stairs, gulp!

• Why does it matter where it is Andy? Is this a regulation or personal preference, or even some kind of risk assessment? The problem is loose terminals, not anything else.
  • Caused by cage clamps!

Long live the tunnel terminal, with two screws per terminal, each screw had a spherical end that dimpled the conductor and helped keep it in place
  • If you are taking a lead from Best Practice Guide 4 issued by ESF then the location is important. Under unprotected wooden stairs or in a sole escape route warrants a Code 3 according to them. Otherwise it is merely worthy of note, which they say should not appear on the EICR. Of course if there are loose connections or evidence of overheating then Code 2.
  • This is up to the inspector. Whatever ESF or anyone else says maybe some justification, but it is still the inspector who decides. In many ways these "guides" are not a good idea, they are no replacement for inspection experience.
  • Former Community Member
    0 Former Community Member
    Wasn't there a post about http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2020/312/regulation/3/made  requiring full compliance with the 18th with no deviations?

Regards

BOD