This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

Which version of BS 7671 should I use?

I'm confused. Let's, for example, say I'm doing an upmarket domestic (complete with PV and EV) that's intended to be rented out and the work will be overseen by building control.

As I see it:
  • BS 7671 says I should use the latest version (subject to any transition periods when new versions are published) - so currently BS 7671:2018+A1:2020 (plus possibly a Corrigendum or so).

• The ESQCR (as amended) demands that (because I have on-site generation operating in parallel with the mains) I comply with "British Standard Requirements" which it defines as BS 7671:2008 (17th Ed) (unamended).

• AD P suggests that if I want a nice "deemed to comply" solution that BC will accept, I need to work to BS 7671:2008 incorporating Amendment No 1:2011.

• As the property is going to be rented, the new "The Electrical Safety Standards in the Private Rented Sector (England) Regulations 2020" will have to be complied with, and that requires compliance with BS 7671:2018 (unamended).

So do I have to read four different versions of the Wiring Regs at once and try and come up with a design that simultaneously satisfies all four? (which I'm not sure would always be possible) and even if I did that which version should the certificate say it complies with?

- Andy.
  • Former Community Member
    0 Former Community Member
    Typically, I would always assume that it's the current version (including any amendments) for each of the four examples given at the date required.

Regards

OMS
  • And this is the joy of a legal precedent that does not permit "ambulatory legislation" (that is "moving goal posts" to the non lawyers ) - the regs version called up has to be fixed in time when the law is passed, to avoid a situation where the requirements of the law are changed by the action of a body that is neither parliament or a minister.

(For example as there is no ministerial oversight of what goes into BS 7671, so as a noddy example if some rogue RCD or AFDD makers got their chaps on the committee  to mandate their products, then while that could end up in the next version of the regs, and that would be a pain, they could not say ' you must fit brand X  because it is now illegal not to' , as it would not be true, the law not having changed.)

From time to time the govt does review things, and if all is well, they update the references in the legislation, usually by statutory instrument, so things are usually fairly up to date by legal standards ( that is to say most references are to the right century at least)

As always, meanwhile you will have to make a professional  judgement, probably aiming at the latest where possible. In reality the correct system will probably mostly comply with the main features of all version,  but may well satisfy no single version on all points.
  • Well if you are confused Andy, what chance do the rest of us have?

Heres my take on it;

115.1 (2018) says "For installations over which a licensing or other authority exercises a statutory control, the requirements of that authority shall be ascertained and complied with in the design and execution of the installation"

The 2020 rented regs confer statutory duties on local housing authorities to enforce the regulations, they therefore have statutory control. And these reference BS7671:2018 unammended.

BS7671:2008 also has 115.1 with exactly the same wording. So all roads lead to BS7671:2018 unammended. Simples

• Good point AJJewsbury, but can anyone think of a requirement in the current Regs that is actually prohibited in an earlier version.

If not, then an installation to the current Regs would satisfy all of them.
  • I can appreciate the logic of not having law controllable by third parties, but I don't see whey they can't make later editions optional - e.g. "the work must comply to BS7671 to the 18th edition or any newer edition".
  • wallywombat:

I can appreciate the logic of not having law controllable by third parties, but I don't see whey they can't make later editions optional - e.g. "the work must comply to BS7671 to the 18th edition or any newer edition".

then the law would be controllable by the IET, or rather JPEL/64. BS7671:2020 might then look a bit like Hong Kong constitution

• Harry Macdonald:

Good point AJJewsbury, but can anyone think of a requirement in the current Regs that is actually prohibited in an earlier version.

Sockets in bathrooms?

• OlympusMons:

Well if you are confused Andy, what chance do the rest of us have?

Heres my take on it;

115.1 (2018) says "For installations over which a licensing or other authority exercises a statutory control, the requirements of that authority shall be ascertained and complied with in the design and execution of the installation"

The 2020 rented regs confer statutory duties on local housing authorities to enforce the regulations, they therefore have statutory control. And these reference BS7671:2018 unammended.

BS7671:2008 also has 115.1 with exactly the same wording. So all roads lead to BS7671:2018 unammended. Simples

But the equally legally demanding Electricity Safety Quality and Continuity Regulations demand BS 7671:2008 compliance.

- Andy.

• Harry Macdonald:

Good point AJJewsbury, but can anyone think of a requirement in the current Regs that is actually prohibited in an earlier version.

This is actually rather complicated, since the Regs are not normally legally binding. They are a standard, compliance with which is considered to be a presumption of meeting the safety requirements/duty of care. Compliance with a more up to date standard is always considered to be as safe as (or possibly safer than) compliance with the original standard and is therefore acceptable as an alternative to an earlier standard in such an instance, on the basis that standards never reduce safety when they are revised. However where the legal text specifically states a particular edition of a standard this may not be a valid assumption. It doesn't even need to be something required/prohibited but just a difference in the requirement that means an installation meets a later standard but not an earlier one.

The safest approach is to ensure that the installation meets all editions of the standard cited, though if there are contradictions you have got your work cut out.

• AJJewsbury:

So do I have to read four different versions of the Wiring Regs at once and try and come up with a design that simultaneously satisfies all four?

No. If you are inspecting a tenanted property, you do it against BS 7671:2018. Amendments are not mentioned, so use the current one in line with normal practice.

If ESQCR applies, you install in compliance with BS 7671:2008 as well as whichever version was in force at the design stage - your EIC or MWC will require the latter.

Ignore the AD P - it is only guidance.

So in fact, as ever, the version depends upon whether you are inspecting or installing.

Thank you, Mike, for the explanation about "ambulatory legislation". I doubt that even a judge of the calibre of the late Lord Denning would have been able to reinterpret such unambiguous legislation and I can find no obvious relevant case law. There might, however, be a general defence in such matters - no less safe and so on.