This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

Surface mounted pvc conduit nail clips

Hi all

A lot of my work involves surface mounted pvc conduit and in particular fixing to wooden roof beams in agricultural buildings for high level lights. I have normally used the plastic cable nail clips for this as they easily and quickly fix to the wood. I would use spacer bar saddles for fixing to a masonry wall. However, as the clips are specifically called cable clips, should they only be used for cable, not conduit? I have to say that they work very well for conduit and especially when fixing to a wooden surface
  • Presumably both plastic nail in clips (similar to polypiple nail clips?) and plastic conduit saddles won't meet modern requirements for fire resistant fixings, so I guess we're back to steel saddles now - or possibly the original "nail in" fixing - steel crampets (although I'm dubious about using them with plastic conduit - the slightest over-driving might crush the conduit).

-  Andy.
  • Former Community Member
    0 Former Community Member
    Hi Hugh, number 8 SWA cleats are a good fit for 20mm conduit, and you can choose the fixing :)
  • The 22-26 cable clip fits perfectly over 20mm conduit and in some catalogues is actually described as conduit clips but some just as cable clips. Just wondering if others use these for surface mounting to wood for example. My wholesaler has been selling these for years for this purpose but now I’m beginning to wonder
  • a7a45fc40057d3321b3f3b10f44be970-huge-c99a6f1a-4feb-401d-b80e-137236402407.png

These are the ones I’m referring to. Does anyone use these for surface mounted pvc conduit work?
  • Personally I`ve always used saddles. If needs be I hide a bit of galvi strip betwixt the bottom screwed flatplate and the top saddle plate every few spacers to achieve "hidden fire straps". At first glance they tend to go unoticed
  • Hi ebee

yes I would also use saddles on masonry but quite often I would have very long straight runs for pvc conduit to surface mounting wooden roof timbers in farm buildings at high level for lighting circuits. The 22-26 cable clips are ideal for this as they are a good fit and are faster to fix than spacer bar saddles. What are your thoughts on using cable clips to surface fix pvc conduit setting aside the fire regulations as my example of a farm shed wouldn’t constitute an escape route?
  • setting aside the fire regulations as my example of a farm shed wouldn’t constitute an escape route?

I don't think you can ignore 521.10.202 - the escape route bit was dropped with the 18th so the no premature collapse requirement now applies to all wiring systems whereever they are. (Even back in the 17th AMD3, BS 7671's definition of an escape route was pretty wide and would start just about anywhere where people (and perhaps animals too) might be present when a fire broke out).

- Andy.
  • Andy 

I think what I was trying to say was were nail clips that were described as cable clips suitable for use as conduit supports if they aren’t described as such? Ok then, if a pvc conduit was above a plasterboard ceiling for example would nail clips that I have shown be suitable for supporting pvc conduit to wooden joists instead of spacer bar saddles? Or would they have been an acceptable method before the updated regulations came into force? The question that I’m asking really is can I select a fixing that is not specifically designed for my purpose but achieves what I need it to do?

In terms of surface mounting a pvc conduit, a way to satisfy the fire regulation could be to use plastic supports as normal with a metal spacer bar saddle at regular intervals if I’m correct?
  • Former Community Member
    0 Former Community Member
    Hi Hugh, yes nail in clips for conduit are fine, and they are also good for swa and small bunches of first fixing t+e. 

?
  • We've gone over to entirely using black enamel steel saddles on black pvc conduit now as they're actually CHEAPER than the pvc ones from our local wholesaler. If we had to do white pvc, we'd probably get galv saddles and a can of white spray gloss :)

And Andy, we do use crampets on pvc tube when we're chasing into walls... they hold better in ageing mortar than screw fixings. Indeed you can crush the tube if you're heavy handed, but they're quite handy