This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

Domestic wiring fittings, screw heads

Is there a reason why all conventional domestic electrical wiring fittings use exclusively slotted screw heads, rather than the much more practical Phillips or Pozidrive heads? Don't tell me that electricians can only carry one screwdriver?
  • Cross head screws used for installing electrical fittings and light fittings look dreadful.

Slotted screws stood to an attention are neat and tidy.

Andy B.
  • I suspect terminal screws standardised on slotted as that was probably the only option available in the beginning (early 1900s?).

A few terminals tried using more "modern" recesses but often made a complete pig's ear of it - e.g. on MCBs where they tried to come up with a recess that would accept both pozi and slotted - but ended up with something that worked properly for neither an ended up selling special (+-) driver.

For normal tunnel terminals taking soft copper, there's no need for the higher torques that the cross recesses can provide - indeed it might even encourage over-tightening and damaged conductors. Similarly with faceplate screws too tight and things will crack or distort.

-  Andy.
  • Sparkingchip:

Slotted screws stood to an attention are neat and tidy.

Please tell me that you don't align all the slots in your screws! ?

If you have a screw and nut, by all means align all the screw heads and tighten the nuts against the screws; but if you do that with wood screws, some will be too tight, and some too loose. 

• Alex Barrett:

Is there a reason why all conventional domestic electrical wiring fittings use exclusively slotted screw heads, rather than the much more practical Phillips or Pozidrive heads? Don't tell me that electricians can only carry one screwdriver?

Cross-headed screws enable assemblies to be made by machine. IIRC, Phillips are intended to slip when the required torque has been reached; Pozidrive accept a higher torque. If you really want positive engagement, specify Torx.

• I'm just down from the loft and another encounter with these vile screws. Pozi screws would have made life much more pleasant. No, I didn't align the screw heads.
  • Why stop with screws?

One thing that annoys me are sink and basin waste fittings that have not been aligned.

Andy B.
  • It may be a manufacturing issue. slots can be cut whereas crosshead may need to be punched, which may be more difficult with brass. Just a thought.
  • maybe but a lot of the modern screws are steel, and are indeed either pozi or plus-minus.

Face plate screws M3,5 are available in pozi head, and I note that on the continent more fittings seem to be moving to sprung terminals in the manner of wago example   I imagine we will follow suit
  • If you have a screw and nut, by all means align all the screw heads and tighten the nuts against the screws; but if you do that with wood screws, some will be too tight, and some too loose.

It depends on what you're fixing. I was always taught to align the screw slots with the grain when screwing wood into place (being slightly soft the wood could absorb the extra up to half a turn - none were too loose) - but when fixing metal (e.g. hinges) to stop as soon as the screw was fully home.

- Andy.

• If you do an image search you will struggle to find a picture of a fitting that does not have the screws aligned, some stood to an attention, some horizontal and a surprising number around two o’clock, but still aligned.