Want to post a reply? You'll need to log in
Identifying a live & neutral cable
RobH 11001215737
3 Posts
Question
I’m installing a floodlight on the rear of my house and I need to locate a permanent live and neutral cable under the floorboards.  The light will be switched using a Quinetic wireless receiver housed in a Wiska box next to the floodlight.  Due to the position of it, it’s not possible to get a live and neutral feed from an existing switch or light point so I’d like to splice into a cable under the floorboards using a maintenance-free junction box.  I understand how to identify which cables are part of the lighting circuit by using a volt stick and turning the breakers off, but I’m a bit confused how to tell which cables are live / switched live and which ones are the live / neutral cables, without physically seeing where each one runs to.  I hope this makes sense and someone can enlighten me to an easy way to check.

Thanks,
Rob
4 Replies
OMS 615869
646 Posts
Have you already posted this in "General Chat" - Lisa Miles‍ might be tempted to move it

Regards

OMS
RobH 11001215737
3 Posts
Yes, I wasn’t sure how to move it.  I should have posted it here in the first place
OlympusMons 11001209648
117 Posts
you could disconnect the live of the switch cable at the ceiling rose in the room below (with power off), then see if the cable is still live after re-energizing.
Lisa Miles 76762696
1224 Posts
OMS:
Have you already posted this in "General Chat" - Lisa Miles‍ might be tempted to move it

Thanks OMS‍ 

I've moved the topic to the Wiring category and will lock this specific thread. 

You can find the other one here:  https://communities.theiet.org/discussions/viewtopic/1037/26420

Want to post a reply? You'll need to log in