This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

Flat file

Need to upgrade to a better file for conduit work/fabricating cable tray bends to show apprentices how to do it, what do you guys recommend as a good type of file to get
  • Former Community Member
    0 Former Community Member
    Generally in the engineering sector the favourite seems to be Bahco if you are not worried about cost.

Rob
  • between fine and coarse are the best type of files

un-named, else sanctions by Lisa Miles

OlympusMons:

between fine and coarse are the best type of files

Titter

OMS 

Strictly speaking you should not be moderated for using the correct engineering term for the cut of such a file.

For those who don't know look up traditional alternate names for illegitimate children...
  • Possibly full-cut-***  or Half-cut-***.

Finer teeth for harder materials.  If you also file aluminium, a little chalk will reduce clogging.

• Yes, the little blocks of french chalk that used to be supplied in bicycle puncture repair kits are ideal... do they still do those?

• OlympusMons:

between fine and coarse are the best type of files

?

• I was taught that for filing aluminium, you should use a dreadnought file.
  • Indeed if you can afford a set of files for each material type, that is correct. Perhaps I should have said if you find you have to use files that are really   for harder metals on aluminium, they clog, and a workaround is chalk. I have mis-used a surform plane (they type like a cheese grater ) in the past as a deburring of cur edges on sheet aluminium and treadplates as well.

No idea what sort of file we'd use on uranium, but lucklily it has never been a problem. OMS may know..

• mapj1:

No idea what sort of file we'd use on uranium, but lucklily it has never been a problem. OMS may know..

That would require an extremophile, or perhaps Mulder & Scully?