This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

CQ MapJ1. Rectifier Question.

Morning Mike,

will you please remind me of your rectifier question as the egregious fairies have stolen it along with the quiz, and I didn't get a chance to write it down.

Thanks,

Z.
  • Have a look in Savoy Place!

• Chris Pearson:

Have a look in Savoy Place!

I am frightened of strange places Chris, and am self isolating at present. The quiz should have been left in the WIRING and Regs. section as it deals principally with electrical wiring and theory that electricians and students will be interested with. Thanks anyway

Z.

• No, according to forum rules, quizzes belong in the “Savoy Place Virtual Club” part of the forum, along with other non-wiring regulations topics. You will find all your quizzes in there. 

Regards,

Alan.
  • Question for 'Zoom' ...... Where on this forum will you find quizzes?

While you are puzzling that one out, prove by simple manipulation of formula starting with Kirchoff's voltage law that resistors are conneced in series.......

Legh ?

• Legh Richardson:

Question for 'Zoom' ...... Where on this forum will you find quizzes?

While you are puzzling that one out, prove by simple manipulation of formula starting with Kirchoff's voltage law that resistors are conneced in series.......

Legh ?

1. The quizzes are not on this forum any more Legh.

2. There is no need for any mathematical proof for series resistors, as their connection in series can be simply proven by a visual inspection, either from a diagram or a circuit board. Just keep it simple I say.

Z.

• Alan Capon:

No, according to forum rules, quizzes belong in the “Savoy Place Virtual Club” part of the forum, along with other non-wiring regulations topics. You will find all your quizzes in there. 

Regards,

Alan. 

Perhaps this subject is more relevant for the Wiring and Regs. forum then Alan.....

https://communities.theiet.org/discussions/viewtopic/1037/25876

Z.

• That shouldn’t be there either. More interestingly, it is been put there with the agreement of one of the moderators, who appears to have broken their own guidelines. 

Regards,

Alan.

• it is been put there with the agreement of one of the moderators, who appears to have broken their own guidelines. 

well, doesn't that really take the biscuit?

(sorry)

- Andy.

• AJJewsbury:

it is been put there 

well, doesn't that really take the biscuit?

(sorry)

- Andy.

L.o.l. very dry humour Andy, and the system crumbles.

Z.

• HI OM de MAPJ1

I presume you have found it now - but in case it was the full wave  3 phase rectifier that ripples at  twice the frequency you may expect.

Clearly a 4 diode bridge gives 100Hz ripple on the output, and needs a smoothing cap that can tide over a good fraction of 10mSec to hold up the Dc between pulses.

A 3 phase bridge with 6 diodes (one phase to each diode) gives 6 pulses per full cycle, as each phase goes to max pos or neg. The ripple is at 300Hz

(car alternators are often wired like this) A smaller capacitor is acceptable for the same p-p ripple.

But there is another version, with even more diodes, that exploits the phase shift between star and delta waveforms, that has higher frequency ripple yet.

Folk who have worked for London underground on DC traction supplies, or who have visited Kempton Park Pumping station should be going 'aha' immediately.

I could come back with a schematic if there is demand,

Sorry for delay. Very busy week