This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

Electrically Produced U.V.C. and disinfection.

U.V. light and bug killing.....

https://www.bbc.com/future/article/20200327-can-you-kill-coronavirus-with-uv-light

Z.
  • UV C light is very effective in killing most microorganisms, but in view of the risks is not to be applied carelessly or in any improvised way.

The special lamps to produce UV-C are in short supply at present but can normally be obtained from any good lamp wholesaler.

They resemble fluorescent lamps and are electrically interchangeable therewith.

Years ago I had to group replace a large number of these in a hospital laundry. They were used not to disinfect the laundry itself, this was done by boiling, but to disinfect the laundry trolleys used to convey the clean linen back to the wards.

I was under strict instructions to smash the used but still functional lamps as I removed them, "to avoid danger if ill informed persons attempted re-use"

British Rail used ultra violet water purifying units to treat the water used in the buffet cars and restaurant cars of older trains. For 24 volt DC supply and used an 8 watt lamp. The units had a very small spyhole through which the lamp could be observed to be lit, the amount of UV C escaping through this very small hole was considered to  be acceptable.

UV C lamps are widely used today for water disinfection in the water industry, and also to prevent spread of fish disease in aquaria.

A year or two ago, a number of customers at a disco or nightclub suffered severe sun burn due the mis use of UV C lamps for decorative effect when "blacklight blue" UV lamps should have been used.
  • I have a quantity of UVC tubes and 5 fittings if you want some Z. I was just thinking of throwing them out so can send them for the carriage cost. There are very dangerous to view or on skin. The tubes are Phillips (new) and are like flourescent tubes but with no phosphor, and probably different glass, were used in a water steraliser system.
  • I once fitted UV lamps in the beer cellar of a public house. Mould was an ongoing problem and chemical treatment avoided lest it taint the beer.

To avoid dangerous exposure to persons, several safety systems were used.

Firstly, a two way switch only lit the UV lamps when the ordinary lighting was turned off, and secondly presence detectors disabled the UV lights if anyone was in the cellar.

A duplicated warning sign was also lit outside the beer cellar "DANGER ULTRAVIOLET LIGHT WITHIN. NO ENTRY" When the UV was on.

I removed it when the publican retired, not trusting unknown persons to use it safely.
  • You could probably achieve the same effect with γ radiation. Radioactive

• davezawadi:

I have a quantity of UVC tubes and 5 fittings if you want some Z. I was just thinking of throwing them out so can send them for the carriage cost. There are very dangerous to view or on skin. The tubes are Phillips (new) and are like flourescent tubes but with no phosphor, and probably different glass, were used in a water steraliser system.

A most generous offer Dave, but one that I will have to pass on thanks.

Z.

• UV filters are commonly used to disinfect drinking water from domestic wells and boreholes. Also in commercial buildings with storage tanks.

regards,
  • And at least one design of office water chiller - the tube is penetrates the water reservoir through tight fitting artificial rubber grommets, rather in the manner of the swords in the magicians girl in the box trick. Sadly these then slowly disintegrate under the influence of the UV, allowing water into the ballast and starter, nothing special just a quartz envelope around a florry without the powder.

As others have said, not good for you, but the smell of ozone lets you know when the water has run out, as the UV is sting enough to break the O2 bonds, and that is one way sterilisation in the air occurs.
  • Former Community Member
    0 Former Community Member

Chris Pearson:

You could probably achieve the same effect with γ radiation. Radioactive

You could  - several clients of ours operate large "cobalt" rooms, into which you place the manufactured and packaged equipment (in this case for one time use medical equipment), and let the gamma rays effectively kill off anything organic.

Regards

OMS

• Former Community Member
    0 Former Community Member
    is it effective to use UV Light?
  • 123misha:

is it effective to use UV Light?

For what purpose - I think your question is missing a bit.

There are several grades of UV light, for rapid grading A, B and C as progressively shorter wavelength - as already noted above, you ned to know what you are doing. There is a world of difference between the blister and cateract-inducing UV C that kills germs, indeed most life, and the UV-A at that makes your clothes glow at the disco.