This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

Light bulb safety

Hi all

Asking for a friend who needs to change a light bulb in their new home.

The current light bulb in the ceiling pendant is a 40w (28w halogen) bulb but they find it too dim.

Can they safely swap that out for a 60w (42w halogen)?

There's no rating stickers or information of any on the light fitting itself so they don't want to put in a higher rated bulb if it may overheat and cause a fire.

• Hi Lisa tell your friend if they swap out the bulb  just be wary when using the new one sniff the air for burning or scorching and if possible touch the shade or bulb holder to make sure it's not too hot hope this helps
  • Why guess and risk it? Perhaps safer and cheaper in the long run to simply change the fitting.

F
  • Former Community Member
    0 Former Community Member
    OMG - did Lisa just say "Light Bulb"

Expect dozens of posts by the outraged pedants in the next few hours ?

OMS

• Farmboy:

Why guess and risk it? Perhaps safer and cheaper in the long run to simply change the fitting.

F

Bit awkward at the moment as the bulb is the one above the stairwell (so kinda important) and can't get anyone to come in to replace the light fitting anyway. The fact that they are isolating as they are a bit 'unwell' at the moment is putting people off.... ?

I've volunteered to go out and get them a bulb so I'll probably get both a 28 and a 42 so they can decide. 

Kelly Marie‍ Thanks for your advice, I'll pass that on too. ?

• OMS:

OMG - did Lisa just say "Light Bulb"

Expect dozens of posts by the outraged pedants in the next few hours ?

OMS

Being a keen gardener I use the term 'light bulb' to differentiate between a 'tulip bulb' or a 'daffodil bulb' etc etc.... ?

• Can you get an LED bulb, less heat so you can go for max power probably about 5 to 7 watts?
  • I'd suggest a retrofit LED might be a safer bet as brighter with less heat output? A 9.5W LED will match a 60W incandescent/halogen.

edit: As post above!
  • If there is good clearance around the lamp ('bulb to you') such that you can get your hands in there, it is unlikely to set fire to even a paper lampshade of more than 8 inch diameter at 60W.

Over a long time the cheaper lamp holders get a bit crumbly and smell of burning fish if you put 100W in a 60W fitting.

A 42 W lamp in any normal lampshade with an obvious air vent will be fine, only very small wall lights were less than 60W.

Or as they want more light, you could leave the shade off for now.

• Most lamp holders will not catch fire but may decompose and become brittle with excessive heat. A T2 lamp holder is rated at 100 Watts tungsten maximum I believe. I think that T1 rated lamp holders were rated at 60 Watts for tungsten bulbs. As suggested why not fit a new L.E.D. light bulb which is very bright and low Wattage. A warm white colour output will be close to the old filament bulb's colour. New L.E.D. bulbs can be bought in shapes that resemble the old hot running filament bulbs so do not look too out of place. It will have something like 3000K printed on the box for a warm white colour output quality.  The lumen output is a guide to brightness. The higher the lumen number the brighter the light output. New L.E.D. bulbs often have an equivalent value  printed on the box, e.g. 10 Watts real power relates to an old 70 Watt light bulb as a rough example, even though 70 tungsten bulbs were not made. It is just a guide.

Z.

• kfh:

Can you get an LED bulb, less heat so you can go for max power probably about 5 to 7 watts?

Excellent suggestion kfh‍ thank you! 

Hopefully I can pick one up in the supermarket as most other outlets are closed around here... ?